Costs

Odyssey

Well I’ve had an entertaining day getting quotes for a service and cam belt change on my engines....

I’ve been told it’ll take 25 hours for both engines to service them and do the timing belts

OR

6 hours each to do service and timing belts.... 

so somewhere someone is perhaps going a bit slow.....

most expensive quote so far..... £4208 😮😮😮😮😮

Amazing what people try and charge...

Edited by Odyssey

I had a detailed quote.... 

Apparently I need 2 fuel filters and 2 oil filters per engine.... not on the schematics or service guide and weren’t there last time I checked 🤣🤣

On 10/20/2020 at 6:28 PM, Odyssey said:

I had a detailed quote.... 

Apparently I need 2 fuel filters and 2 oil filters per engine.... not on the schematics or service guide and weren’t there last time I checked 🤣🤣

This is why I have over the years learnt to do most of the services myself, I can’t believe the price some people are willing to pay 😱

This is amazing, I can understand in big business the cost just running away but for a VP privately owned boat it is mad, someone must have looked at the figures sometime. I can’t imagine rolls Royce being that expensive 

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, SiDfish said:

I remember VW quoting over £100 to fit new front brake pads to an old Polo, plus the cost of the pads (exhorbitant).  I got genuine pads (GSF) for £6 and fitted then in the rain on a muddy lane in less than 5 minutes (4 R clips)!

If main dealers gave me any confidence in their abilities it would be something, but usually they are just kids following a manual. I think Luke said there was also some confusion over what belts were  or weren’t there from his first enquiry. 

So I’ve spoken to my mechanic.

He had to change a seal on the gearbox. Didn’t call me first as didn’t want to trouble me. He’s only charging me 30 mins Labour even though it took much longer as he wanted his apprentice to get some experience. He’s had it all pressure tested etc so it’s safe.

He didn’t like the gear oil that was in there, sent some to his oil supplier who have looked at it and have suggested a higher grade of oil. No extra charge for this. 

He maybe a main dealer but im really impressed so far. He has kept all the old parts and won’t invoice me until I have inspected them to make sure I’m happy.... Apparently this is standard for commercial guys. 

So not all main dealers are a rip off! 🙂 

The oil comments are interesting are interesting thoigh....

9 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

He had to change a seal on the gearbox. Didn’t call me first as didn’t want to trouble me. He’s only charging me 30 mins Labour even though it took much longer as he wanted his apprentice to get some experience. He’s had it all pressure tested etc so it’s safe.

He didn’t like the gear oil that was in there, sent some to his oil supplier who have looked at it and have suggested a higher grade of oil. No extra charge for this. 

He maybe a main dealer but im really impressed so far. He has kept all the old parts and won’t invoice me until I have inspected them to make sure I’m happy.... Apparently this is standard for commercial guys. 

Good to hear, can you put his company name up again for others to find?  It’s good to support the decent ones where we can. 

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

The oil comments are interesting though....

Yep. Very often when it's suggested to people to use a higher spec oil, one of the fav comments is "Suzuki/Yam/Honda etc have quoted to use this..... And they should know", so it's good that a main dealer has recognised the need for a better oil

52 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Yep. Very often when it's suggested to people to use a higher spec oil, one of the fav comments is "Suzuki/Yam/Honda etc have quoted to use this..... And they should know", so it's good that a main dealer has recognised the need for a better oil

What’s great is that he’s ordered 25l of it and is looking to make the reccomendation to other customers. Not just looking in a service guide, follow step 1,2,3. It’s the taking the time out to really understand the customers usage profile that has impressed me. 

On 12/8/2020 at 10:56 AM, Odyssey said:

West Wales Marine. Based in Neyland. 

Not to be confused with Dale Sailing also based in Neyland.....

or Quadra Marine based in Milford Haven...... 😬😬😬

Are they the guys who used to be Pirate or Picton?

On 12/8/2020 at 10:16 AM, Odyssey said:

I use Tony at Bridger Marine in Exeter for all my engine work. Mercury and Honda main agents, not cheap, but they do an excellent and thorough job.

As an example, I mentioned that it rattled at idle in gear and was clunky going into gear...... Tony straight away advised it was probably prop rattle from the gearbox due to the heavy 4 blade SS prop and the answer was to fit an ungraded Mercury solid prop hub with titanium torque rods. Not a cheap solution but it fixed the problem. They also show me all the changed parts after a service. TBH, I don't mind paying a bit extra for high quality service and product knowledge.

55 minutes ago, SiDfish said:

Are they the guys who used to be Pirate or Picton?

Nope, Pirate are still going....

His name is Andy Townsend, runs the buisness with his wife Emma and got a few fitters as well.

Hes trying to broaden out into other things like GRP and electrical as well 

Great to hear they're still going, must be twenty years since I was last down that way.  Do you still get the huge beds of king rag off Landshipping, or are they another piece of history?  Remember the first time I came to Ireland (30yrs ago), I stopped there for bait and the Irish Ferries boys were debating whether to let me on the ferry.  Both me and the enduro bike were completely dripping in stinking mud!  The Southwest Irish bass sure liked those snakes though.