Best hired by the hour

Petroni

Hi All. I am Peter, retired, a returning fisherman from decades ago. Thanks for the help given since joining yesterday, most helpful. I don't own a boat and have no plans to as I live in Sandhurst (Berks) and was always told that planes, boats and women are best hired by the hour (my wife disagrees though!). I am currently trying to get my three adult sons and two grandsons (ages 7 & 10) into boat fishing more as a family bonding thing than for the purist fishing approach. First outing Saturday (Silver Spray II - Poole for the 8 hour day) could not have been better. Everything from Bream and Mackerel to Grey Gurnard and Tope (caught by the 7 year old!) and about a dozen small conger. They are currently all very keen for more. I suspect they will be fair weather fishers. I fear the interest might wane quickly in the two youngsters unless I can refresh each trip to make it different and interesting but with 6 of us it justifies the private charter cost currently (which was paid for by my first months 'old age' pension which came due this month!). If I ever move close to water I would love to own a boat but I know just about enough to be dangerous so that day is long off atm. Best    Peter

Welcome Peter. Good to have you with us. Glad to see another Berkshire boater too. I'm based near Newbury and we have some other members from Berkshire and Oxfordshire too, so living near the sea is definitely not a pre-requisite for boat owning 😉👍

Looking forward to seeing how you all get on in your next charter session. Don't forget to share a catch report 🎣🎣

Welcome aboard Peter.

You are fortunate that Andy has now sold his "spare" boat so no pressure from your neighbour 👍

You may even find as a neighbour you may get an invite or two to share Andy's maritime dogging adventures..... 🤣

Hi, 

I am not sure how far you are willing to travel but there is a very good charter boat in Portishead that does bass and sole trips, also plenty in Cardiff doing hounds/conger/rays. Plenty of fish to keep things busy and likely to be double figures too 🙂