Rigging an anchor to trip?

48 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I just use a standard D shackle and 3-4 8mm cable ties. 

Kin'ell that is a bit extreme and would take some serious power to break ........

I use one 4mm cable tie and have never had is break out in normal use, but with a RIB I have to manually haul, so I need to be able to break it with relative ease.

8 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Kin'ell that is a bit extreme and would take some serious power to break ........

I use one 4mm cable tie and have never had is break out in normal use, but with a RIB I have to manually haul, so I need to be able to break it with relative ease.

Yes but your inflatable weighs next to nothing. If I’d have used just 1 4mm tie I wouldn’t hold bottom. After going up to 5/6 4mm I decided to go down to less ties but up the thickness. This was on my Parker by the way not Tarlach Too. I’d hate to know what strength I’d need for a 4 tonne boat in strong tides. 

4 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes but your inflatable weighs next to nothing. If I’d have used just 1 4mm tie I wouldn’t hold bottom. After going up to 5/6 4mm I decided to go down to less ties but up the thickness. This was on my Parker by the way not Tarlach Too. I’d hate to know what strength I’d need for a 4 tonne boat in strong tides. 

Something to consider though is that you are pulling parallel to the anchors shank, it’s only when you are trying to pull it that the rope angle goes square 

25 minutes ago, JonC said:

Something to consider though is that you are pulling parallel to the anchors shank, it’s only when you are trying to pull it that the rope angle goes square 

Yes true. But still, if I needed that many thick ties on a 1 tonne boat…..

24 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes true. But still, if I needed that many thick ties on a 1 tonne boat…..

It would be interesting to see how much force is needed to snap out the zip ties. Although you have a 4 ton boat it’s not a dead lift so there won’t be anyway near that amount of load on the anchor 

2 minutes ago, JonC said:

It would be interesting to see how much force is needed to snap out the zip ties. Although you have a 4 ton boat it’s not a dead lift so there won’t be anyway near that amount of load on the anchor 

Yes agreed, but…. 

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes agreed, but…. 

I’m thinking that you should cable tie Tarlach2 to your digital scales fixed to a pontoon and do some pull out tests. Don’t forget your safety glasses. 

48 minutes ago, JonC said:

I’m thinking that you should cable tie Tarlach2 to your digital scales fixed to a pontoon and do some pull out tests. Don’t forget your safety glasses. 

This is a brilliant suggestion. Well done boffin Jon. 🤓

1 minute ago, GPSguru said:

Actually, surprisingly heavy, about 1300kg , probably heavier than a warrior etc ............

Definitely heavier than a Warrior type boat, which is usually around the 5-600kg mark. Add another 150kg for the engine and they're still only about half of Bluefin's weight.

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Definitely heavier than a Warrior type boat, which is usually around the 5-600kg mark. Add another 150kg for the engine and they're still only about half of Bluefin's weight.

The bare hull and Tubes are 400kg, then add the console, seat pods, A frame, 150hp engine, 90L fuel tank, etc, etc........... with 2 adults and fully loaded we are probably close to 1500kg on the water........... but we don't have the windage of a hard boat 👍

4 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

The bare hull and Tubes are 400kg, then add the console, seat pods, A frame, 150hp engine, 90L fuel tank, etc, etc........... with 2 adults and fully loaded we are probably close to 1500kg on the water........... but we don't have the windage of a hard boat 👍

Or the curtains and cushions.

looser

21 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Good point! Or the TV. Or the heating. Or the heads!! 
Oh and the stove with running water. 

It was a bit strong charging £3 for the extra shot of expresso though!

I still use a swivel on the base and only one cable tie to trip = i figured the swivel will help as the anchor is being pulled towards the aldernery ring - i had a coiled knot in my chain once and it wouldn't go through the ring - dont want that again.

I also have a swivel between chian and rope now too!

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Or the curtains and cushions.

I suppose they are ok for wiping you hands, or wiping your arse if you get caught short. 🤣

Actually I reluctantly have one waterproof boat cushion on Bluefin, it was given to me as a present by my grand daughter 

3 hours ago, mike farrants said:

I still use a swivel on the base and only one cable tie to trip = i figured the swivel will help as the anchor is being pulled towards the aldernery ring - i had a coiled knot in my chain once and it wouldn't go through the ring - dont want that again.

I also have a swivel between chian and rope now too!

My self launch roller prevents me from rigging to trip as there is enough room to cable tie the chain along the shank. 
I think I will have to make a short second of rope up with eyes in the end to tie wrap more compactly.