do you have to regerster your boat

To have a vhf on a boat it needs to be licensed, for that you need to register with ofcom. To use the vhf you need to be qualified which is a simple test that can be done online. It’s preferable to do a 1 day course where the test is included at the end but not essential. 
Anyone under your supervision can use the radio, ie. when Neil goes out Leo can use the vhf under Neils watch etc. 

just re read the question and I’ve answered a different question. I’ll edit the question later.

No requirement to register any recreational boat that I'm aware of. SSR registration is optional. Might want to register with your local harbour authority for harbour dues if you plan to keep her on a mooring but if trailer launching, you can pay as you go on the day.

10 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

do you really have to regerster your boat when its only 18 foot long. i belive you have to regerster a radio ???????

For the radio, you just need to go online and get a ' ships Radio' licence, which will give you a MMSI number for the radio.

If you want you can register your boat on the Small Ships Register (SSR), but this is only necessary if you are taking your boat abroad.

here is the Ofcom link for the radio  licence ............https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/radiocommunication-licences/ships-radio

Edited by GPSguru

4 minutes ago, JonC said:

Out of interest why wouldn’t you register the boat? Is this a tax dodge? 

Who would you register it with Jon? Do you mean HMRC? This is only necessary if you're importing a boat from abroad, and it's only for VAT liability, not for registering its existence per se.

10 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

For the radio, you just need to go online and get a ' ships Radio' licence, which will give you a MMSI number for the radio.

If you want you can register your boat on the Small Ships Register (SSR), but this is only necessary if you are taking your boat abroad.

here is the Ofcom link for the radio  licence ............https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/radiocommunication-licences/ships-radio

thank you that is yousfull info

25 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Who would you register it with Jon? Do you mean HMRC? This is only necessary if you're importing a boat from abroad, and it's only for VAT liability, not for registering its existence per se.

I don’t know what the old rascal is up to but there’s got to be something suspicious going on! 

This side of the pond we have to register them and display the rego no. alongside side the vessel. We also have to register trailers and have them annually inspected to pass the registration for safety. The trailers have a different registration to the tow vehicle, which makes sense given a trailer can be driven by any number of vehicles.

Maritime soon pull you up if your boat is out of rego and smack you with a fine. 

I had to register a boat as small as 12ft boat that I owned in the UK many years ago to be able to sell fish legally to fish wholesalers.