Broken fridge

35 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

My fridge worked at the weekend, and now does not. The light is on when the door opens, the stat is turned up but no cold. No noises nothing. 
it’s a Waeco coolmatic rpd-0050e

Any ideas?? (Except buy a new fridge(yet))!

Faulty stat ? 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

the stat is turned up but no cold.

Shouldn't the stat be turned down not up? i.e. the lower the setting the colder the fridge?

[genuine suggestion, not a piss-take]

47 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Shouldn't the stat be turned down not up? i.e. the lower the setting the colder the fridge?

Don’t pretend you’re not laughing at that. 

52 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

The higher the number, the colder the fridge temperature.

So, during the summer months when the fridge door is opened a lot and the outside temp is high, then the stat needs to be turned up to keep the fridge cold. In the winter when the ambient temp is lower, then the stat can be turned down.

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

My fridge worked at the weekend, and now does not. The light is on when the door opens, the stat is turned up but no cold. No noises nothing. 
it’s a Waeco coolmatic rpd-0050e

Any ideas?? (Except buy a new fridge(yet))!

Is the ambient temperature too low for the compressor to turn on ?

Looking at the manuals, yours needs the ambient temperature to be above 16c

51 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

The higher the number, the colder the fridge temperature.

Ah, ok. On our domestic fridge the numbers are actually intuitive instead of being arse about face like Neil's fridge.

Well after a trip to Yarmouth today the fridge has decided to start working again!!

Maybe I have a loose and dusty connection somewhere. Still, as long as it gets me through the next three days. Nothing like going away for 3 nights on the boat without a fridge to keep the beer cold! 😱

Well after a trip to Yarmouth today the fridge has decided to start working again!!

Maybe I have a loose and dusty connection somewhere. Still, as long as it gets me through the next three days. Nothing like going away for 3 nights on the boat without a fridge to keep the beer cold! 😱

I think yours needs an ambient temp of 16c or greater before it turns on.

8 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

I think yours needs an ambient temp of 16c or greater before it turns on.

Well it was certainly warmer than 16c yesterday! Not an issue now though, just a bit of a gremlin somewhere. 
If it gets me through the rest of September I’ll be happy. Then I can rip out and try to trace a fault. 

Sometimes the door switch can be sticky and it causes issues (same fridge) mine is ok after a bit of WD40 but may get replaced one day if funds allow….

Electrician has been down today to have a look. Seems my battery charger is fried. It’s only a 20amp one and I’ve added another house battery. So it seems like age and over work has killed it. Also seems like the alternator isn’t throwing enough charge to the batteries now either. So that needs to be removed and repaired!! 

18 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Electrician has been down today to have a look. Seems my battery charger is fried. It’s only a 20amp one and I’ve added another house battery. So it seems like age and over work has killed it. Also seems like the alternator isn’t throwing enough charge to the batteries now either. So that needs to be removed and repaired!! 

Can you buy an equivalent unit from an auto factor, or is it going to be a peachmant type rip off price? 

12 minutes ago, JonC said:

Can you buy an equivalent unit from an auto factor, or is it going to be a peachmant type rip off price? 

You mean the battery charger? Probably a rip off version. 
It has to be able to fit into the combined breaker/charger unit as the old one does. 

On 8/31/2021 at 1:09 PM, Saintly Fish said:

Seems about right. The fridge on 12v takes a lot of current (IIRC 12-14amp).

Are you able to replace the alternator with a higher output model ?

3 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Seems about right. The fridge on 12v takes a lot of current (IIRC 12-14amp).

Are you able to replace the alternator with a higher output model ?

I’m not replacing the alternator, it been removed and gone away for repair. The repair will be 1/3 of the cost of a new unit. 

10 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I’m not replacing the alternator, it been removed and gone away for repair. The repair will be 1/3 of the cost of a new unit. 

Ah, ok.

On older engines, alternators are quite generic, so it is relatively easy to fit a unit of higher output.

I am guessing the rectifier pack has a couple of duff diodes in yours, so usually they replace both the rectifier pack and the regulator unit when they do a rebuild.

Edited by GPSguru

47 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Ah, ok.

On older engines, alternators are quite generic, so it is relatively easy to fit a unit of higher output.

I am guessing the rectifier pack has a couple of duff diodes in yours, so usually they replace both the rectifier pack and the regulator unit when they do a rebuild.

I’d guess so. It’s the battery charger for shore power that is also needed. I guess maybe the battery charger never worked, and now that I’ve added an extra house battery the alternator struggled to keep up? 
I don’t know much about these things. 

I’d guess so. It’s the battery charger for shore power that is also needed. I guess maybe the battery charger never worked, and now that I’ve added an extra house battery the alternator struggled to keep up? 
I don’t know much about these things. 

Possibly, but alternators don't last forever, I have had 2 on the Jeep. Also, the merc 150 that I have is known to suffer alternator failure within the 5 year warranty.

If the shore charger has never been working, then the alternator will have worked hard continually charging partially flat batteries. 

I guess the shore charger is the same that is used in caravans and motorhomes.