Still a boatless newbie

christian

Hi everybody,

I have been lurking your site for a while and find it nice and interesting. I am fishing, Italy, Croatia, Denmark and Florida (I'm Danish but living in Florida and Prague, Czech Republic). I am in the process of finding a fishing boat which is capable of some offshore/near shore fishing, and we will be trailering the boat to Croatia/Italy and Denmark. I'll be buying used and I'm looking at boats like the Quicksilver 640 Pilothouse as that is what my budget allows. 

I somehow got directed to this site because I was looking for a boat in the UK, I got stuck here and you English boaters seems to have all the knowledge, which I use and need for fishing the North sea out of Denmark. Please don't kill me for trying to pick your brains, who knows, we could end up fishing together somewhere some day 😀

Cheers

Christian

Hi Christian and welcome. 
well done for coming out from behind the lurking curtain👍🏻
May i suggest you also take a look at the Parker 660 pilothouse, having owned one i can vouch for their superior build quality and sea keeping abilities. 

This is onboard mine when i collected it from new.

Welcome Christian, good to have you with us.

Keep us posted on your search for a boat - there are plenty of knowledgeable members on here who can help with advice. You've probably already found that the used boat market is hot right now, with crazy prices being asked for average boats, but keep looking and I'm sure you'll find the right one for you.

You're welcome to pick my brain... it's mostly empty but happy to share anyway 🤣

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Hi Christian and welcome. 
well done for coming out from behind the lurking curtain👍🏻
May i suggest you also take a look at the Parker 660 pilothouse, having owned one i can vouch for their superior build quality and sea keeping abilities. 

This is onboard mine when i collected it from new.

Thanks for the welcome. Funny that you mention the Parker 660, it's on the list but a bit on the heavy side. The reason I found this site was due to me looking at at a Parker Pilothouse in Poole. The boat has a 115hp engine, which I think is a tad on the small side.

I've asked the seller for the total weight but I have not received a reply. We'll see, the boat is still in play.

5 minutes ago, christian said:

Thanks for the welcome. Funny that you mention the Parker 660, it's on the list but a bit on the heavy side. The reason I found this site was due to me looking at at a Parker Pilothouse in Poole. The boat has a 115hp engine, which I think is a tad on the small side.

I've asked the seller for the total weight but I have not received a reply. We'll see, the boat is still in play.

You need a max rated 150hp engine. 
The weight of the boat gives way to the exceptional sea keeping qualities. The main down side to the boat (for me) was the relatively small fuel tank at 140 litres. You can upgrade the tank to a 190 litre size however. 
A 115hp engine is just too small. 

2 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Welcome Christian, good to have you with us.

Keep us posted on your search for a boat - there are plenty of knowledgeable members on here who can help with advice. You've probably already found that the used boat market is hot right now, with crazy prices being asked for average boats, but keep looking and I'm sure you'll find the right one for you.

You're welcome to pick my brain... it's mostly empty but happy to share anyway 🤣

Thanks, and I will be happy to pick what's left 😀

I know the prices are crazy, I am looking in Spain, France Denmark, England. I will be towing so no problem if I have to go pick up the right boat anywhere in Europe.

I have carefully chosen my friends in Florida, they all have boats. But none of my friends in Europe has boats so I'll have to spend some cash, which is better that the wife and kids spending it 🙄  

Hi Christian, welcome to our little site.

You will get a good range of opinions and lived experiences on here, not just re hashed advice(except from me)

The quicksilver 640 is a good all rounder, but look for one with a 115, a lot were fitted with 90’s which was a little under gunned. All the qs boats suffer from poor quality fittings, a lot had crappie windlass etc but if you’re buying a used one these faults would be ironed out. I have an Arvor 215, basically the same but with a diesel on shaft and I’m happy with it. 

Welcome aboard Christian.

You will find that despite being an affable chappy, Andy's addiction to dogfish has somewhat addled his brains and the poor lad often suffers from confusion.....

🤣🤣🤣

Good luck with your boat search tho

Steve

Edited by suzook12