Maybe a stupid slipway question

10 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

Been looking for a slipway closer to the forts than Calshot on boatlaunch.co.uk

Lots of the slipways don't seem to have a pontoon. Question is how do you get on the boat after parking the trailer? 

Waders? Or in your pants with clothes on board. You have a boarding ladder yeah? 

26 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

Lots of the slipways don't seem to have a pontoon. Question is how do you get on the boat after parking the trailer? 

How much time are you going to save against the hassle of that? 

35 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

The slip I use has no pontoon and I always wear waders to launch and recover. Once on the boat I take the chesties off, and put them on again as we come up the estuary. 

Waders and have a mate hold the boat while you park the trailer. This is how we used to do it when I launched from ECA into Langstone Harbour.

Single handed launching is possible if you drag the anchor up the beach to stop the boat drifting off, but as @Saintly Fish says above, it's waders or skins to get aboard.

In your searching you'll probably come across the public slip by Southsea Sea Angling Club into Langstone Harbour if you want to be close to the forts. Use with caution.

Horrible place to launch a boat... the shingle is deep and trailer and vehicle wheels get bogged down - there's a reason SSAC uses a dumper truck as their launch & recovery vehicle.

Often there's a shingle berm to cross before getting into the water. Then there's the tide to contend with when putting the boat back onto the trailer.

Plus the car park next to the slip always seems to be full of scallies who are either on smack or are looking for stuff to rob so they can score.

Not trying to scare you off but it's a long way to tow a boat from Reading only to have second thoughts once you get there.

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

You have a boarding ladder yeah? 

Apache had a ladder that I never used. We'd launch stern first and it was too much faff to wade round to the stern where the water gets deeper to use the ladder, and way too much faff to rotate the boat to bring the ladder closer to shore. Instead we'd flop over the gunnels and reverse out. Safer on the prop to keep the stern in the deeper water anyway.