Float fishing for flounder.

Saintly Fish

4 minutes ago, MegaByte said:

I done it with great success, just a float Ball weight and trace, No 1 hook and ragworm. Set so the bait is just above the bottom. Keeps it away from the crabs

Thanks Brian. Was this from a drifting boat or from the shore? I'm looking at shore floating. 

never caught flounder on a float before - but i used to pull loads out of the river medina as a kid...... bigguns too....

image.png.9026ab7e71d60962ec6d52fa10a207f2.png

my go to setup was a weight on a sliding ledger, white plastic spoon, 4" trace, loads of beads and rag worm

(Stainless spoon if i was lucky enough to get one for christmas)

1 FLOUNDER SPOON RIG Sz 1 HOOK FLATTIE DAB PLAICE SOLE FLATFISH SEA FISHING  LURE | eBay

29 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

never caught flounder on a float before - but i used to pull loads out of the river medina as a kid...... bigguns too....

image.png.9026ab7e71d60962ec6d52fa10a207f2.png

my go to setup was a weight on a sliding ledger, white plastic spoon, 4" trace, loads of beads and rag worm

(Stainless spoon if i was lucky enough to get one for christmas)

1 FLOUNDER SPOON RIG Sz 1 HOOK FLATTIE DAB PLAICE SOLE FLATFISH SEA FISHING  LURE | eBay

Yes the good old flounder spoon is what I will utilise. Normally I cast and retrieve them, but though suspended from a float a foot above the mud may result in better takes?  

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes the good old flounder spoon is what I will utilise. Normally I cast and retrieve them, but though suspended from a float a foot above the mud may result in better takes?  

Would a float bouyant enough to hold a spoon up, be sensitive enough to show bites?

7 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Would a float bouyant enough to hold a spoon up, be sensitive enough to show bites?

Well I'm guessing that if the fish has to swim a few inches up to grab the bait then it will be a positive take and not just a nibble. So hopefully, yes. 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Trotting is letting the float drift downriver/downtide, with the bait set on the bottom, or just off it. No sea horses involved.

Yes but how do you know when your near the bottom? Take the mullet venue we fished last week. How would you go about finding out the depth from the bank 30-40 ft away? 

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes but how do you know when your near the bottom? Take the mullet venue we fished last week. How would you go about finding out the depth from the bank 30-40 ft away? 

Trial and error. Set the depth deeper than you think you'll need, then shorten up until the float drifts downtide without catching the bottom and going under.

6 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Trial and error. Set the depth deeper than you think you'll need, then shorten up until the float drifts downtide without catching the bottom and going under.

Right ok so no science then! I thought your 👨🏼‍🦰👽🧠 would have a magic trick to tell.