Overfalls, Nab Tower, Bullocks Patch - 8th Oct

Andy135

You know how some days Lady Luck smiles on you, everything goes your way and you bag up on big fat cod??

Well this wasn't one of those days.

I got out late after missing an opportunity to catch dogfish with @Saintly Fish on Tarlach Too, but I was afloat by 2pm, fully fuelled up by 2.20 and out of the Harbour limits by 2.30. The water was beautifully flat.

Q6vxjaO.jpg

Making up for lost time, I headed south past the IoW at 28kts to the wreck of the Cuba. No fish at home, so blank #1 and on to the Overfalls.

Half way there I hear a transmission on Ch.16 from HMS Ledbury announcing live firing exercises on the designated range to the south of the Overfalls. I should be fine, I thought. After taking a side scan pic of the U-1195 I headed east to the Overfalls proper, only to see Ledbury significantly closer to my position than planned.

0uxGRwN.jpg

Before I could reach the first bank of the Overfalls I hear Ledbury hailing me on 16. I'll summarise their message as "get the fuck out of our vicinity as we ain't shooting blanks!".

Suffice to say I turned tail and dropped the hammer pronto! Jersey Girl is fast, but can't outrun a bullet 😬💥

So blank #2 at the Overfalls. Plan B was to head over to the Nab Tower to drift in the lee of the tower with slow jigs.

9O2Nr64.jpg

Cue blank #3. Clearly the fish hadn't read the script as there was nothing at home here either.

Last roll of the dice and over to Bullocks Patch, a reef system where anything can turn up... apart from today when nothing turned up whatsoever. Blank #4 for me today 😭

Deciding that I couldn't take any more blanks I headed for home, tail firmly between legs.

When I got back to the car I felt the need for one more roll of the dice, so I headed over to Gosport's Millenium Pier and with a squid jig on my spinning rod to see if I could rustle up some cod bait. Met a couple of other anglers there who had blanked so far and also two junkies who were bedding down on the pier in duvets with crack pipes... I kid you not. It's rough in Gosport.

Anyway, I'm sure you're all gagging to hear about my squid success and if Jon has managed to read this far down the report I'll eat my hat.

Ok, ok. Blank #5. FFS...

Like I said at the start, Lady Luck did not smile on me today 😭

51 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I headed south past the IoW at 28kts to the wreck of the Cuba. No fish at home, so blank #1

How much time did you give it on the wreck, and what was the state of the tide ?

When there seems to be no fish on a wreck, I usually swtich from slow jigs to Red Gills, first with a short 4ft trace, then with a 15ft trace. I also drift different parts of the wreck, and often you will find a small area where the fish are holed up.

8 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

How much time did you give it on the wreck, and what was the state of the tide ?

When there seems to be no fish on a wreck, I usually swtich from slow jigs to Red Gills, first with a short 4ft trace, then with a 15ft trace. I also drift different parts of the wreck, and often you will find a small area where the fish are holed up.

Was there about an hour after high. Probably not enough time on the wreck - just a couple of drifts so may well have missed the fish. 

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Was there about an hour after high. Probably not enough time on the wreck - just a couple of drifts so may well have missed the fish. 

Possibly, I usually spend a minimum of an hour on a wreck, much to the annoyance of my crew sometimes, but also often find the fish, even if it is only largish Pout.

41 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Unlucky mate, but was a good afternoon to get out non the less. 
It looks like the weather system that was closing in on me at the brambles missed your patch? I had wind and rain at 2pm. 
Still, atm next Friday is looking good too/2!!!! 

I drove through that weather on the way down but it was bone dry in Gosport, so yes, must have missed it.

42 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

never mind, there are plenty of fish waiting for you.know if you had been with Neal you would have caught some he is lucky saint

Skilled Pete, I think that would be a better word to insert. Always put them on the meat!! 💪🏻🤛🏻

Crikey that sounds like lady luck to a disliking that day.

Spooky I was talking to Dave Stenson who runs Dointhedo out of our marina last week and we got onto the subject of Cuba Bank/wreck. Its one Mark he used to fish quite a bit but has stopped as it just doesn't fish as well anymore.  He did say the bank can fish for Bass and drift a fair off the bank as the fish can be a distance off if it. 

I have a suspicion its a Spurdog spot and will probably be giving it a go this autumn,  although I see the Cod are starting to show up, so maybe just maybe we might see better numbers this year.  Not holding my breath though

Edited by Scotch_Egg2012

45 minutes ago, Ivan Tuna said:

I was cleaning and sealing the teak yesterday - spoke with a few guys who had been out, there’s Bass at the west end off the Needles 

Good info. Thanks Ivan 👍