Rod spigot

The spigot of my uptide rod only slides into the female bit by about an inch and then stops solid, to the point where it's real hard to twist and pull out again. It looks like it should go in by about 3 inches. 
What's best to give the male part a bit of a shave to get it to fit better? 

Don't shave it! I had this on one of my favourite spinning rods (the one that I snapped on a snag at my secret dogfish mark).

When I bought it I asked the guy in the shop why it didn't fit together snugly and should I sand it back he said the manufacturers often make the spigot oversized to allow for eventual wear over the years to ensure that the joint doesn't work loose.

So I'd not recommend touching it - it's probably meant to be like that.

5 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Don't shave it! I had this on one of my favourite spinning rods (the one that I snapped on a snag at my secret dogfish mark).

When I bought it I asked the guy in the shop why it didn't fit together snugly and should I sand it back he said the manufacturers often make the spigot oversized to allow for eventual wear over the years to ensure that the joint doesn't work loose.

So I'd not recommend touching it - it's probably meant to be like that.

Ok heard. But, only an inch of entry from a possible 3 just seems to be putting excessive force on that small end bit of the female part?  

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

Ok heard. But, only an inch of entry from a possible 3 just seems to be putting excessive force on that small end bit of the female part?  

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You are right Neil, it should go in further than that and it will eventually damage it.

First off, I'd make sure it's spotlessly clean, then lubricate it with a PTFE oil like 3 in 1

If that alone doesn't cure it, you need to lap it in.

This basically involves cleaning and lubricating as above, then using a twisting motion on the rod parts (not forcing them together), clean and repeat until you get a good fit.

I did one spigot with wet and dry, I wished I hadn't, it quickly went from a snug fit to a sloppy fit and the rod was trash, like about 3rd time out of the tube after rubbing it down.

32 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

as @suzook12 said a bi t of lubrication might just help i had a rod that i did not take apart for a while

later it was impossible to get it apart

so i left it intact

I had a tip from a rod builder years ago.

I the spigot is stuck, then rotate the rod and tap the spigot area gently with a piece of wood. To be fair, it has worked every time for me. My century carp rods would be a nightmare after a 72hr session, but a few gentle taps would soon have them apart.

• 2 weeks later...

Where do you store the rod?  I have had this with my Century beachcasters because they were stored in my garage. 

I took them into the house and stored in airing cupboard for a few days and the joints were back to normal

Almost as if the spigot swelled up

Edited by Scotch_Egg2012

2 hours ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

Where do you store the rod?  I have had this with my Century beachcasters because they were stored in my garage. 

I took them into the house and stored in airing cupboard for a few days and the joints were back to normal

Almost as if the spigot swelled up

It's kept on the boat Scott. There is a dehumidifier on all the time that I'm away, unless mid summer. 

All my beach rods have grippy shrink tube added above the spigot to give a good grip, as Century do now.  Nothing worse than being stuck in a car park in the early hours with a 15ft rod that won't come apart.  A rubber strap wrench like those for old folks to undo jars is good too

19 minutes ago, SiDfish said:

All my beach rods have grippy shrink tube added above the spigot to give a good grip, as Century do now.  Nothing worse than being stuck in a car park in the early hours with a 15ft rod that won't come apart.  A rubber strap wrench like those for old folks to undo jars is good too

what about a oil spray i yous  a spray on moving parts on the boat ie the searing cable remote cables, its repels water you can yous it on rubber as well .