A Couple of Little Repairs

In my last catch report, I mentioned that one of the stern wobble rollers locked in the vertical position and took a decent chip out of the Gel coat on the top lifting / spray rail strake.

The problem with the wobble roller was the wobble pivot bolt had rusted, which made the assembly very stiff. To fix this issue I have changed all 8 pivot bolts on the stern rollers to M10 Stainless Steel A4 bolts, washers, and nyloc nuts. I did this by jacking the boat from the transom keel which takes the weight off the rollers. On reassembly, I have plastered them in 'Fuchs Aqua 2' which is pretty much saltwater proof grease. This is to ensure that the pivots will be well lubricated, and also the grease will form a barrier to help prevent electrolysis of dissimilar metals.

My son was going to do the Gel coat repair as, although he is now a government HGV inspector / AI, his actual profession is vehicle body repairs, and he is apprentice served with 20 years experience as a painter. However, he managed to catch this nasty cold bug that is flying around here, and it put him in bed for almost a week, but he is OK again now.

So, using his advice, I decided to tackle the job to take my mind off the forthcoming eye surgery !

The advice was,

A) Carefully grind the chip edges to at least 45 degrees. Degrease with acetone

B) Mask off the area and fill in the chip with multiple layers of Gel coat, using acetone to degrease before each layer, and force the layers to harden quicker with a hair dryer.

C) Sand down to the correct shape with 100 grit wet / dry.

D) Fashion the final shape with 320 grit, and then carefully finish with 400, 600, 800, and 1500 grit.

E) Final rub with Farecla G3 cutting paste and then a final shine with either hard Diamond wax or Mer.

and the final words were,

F) If you fcuk it up, then I will come and fix it properly when I am better !

Here is the chip,

IMG_1331.thumb.JPG.ba043e977387fed1252f71acfd2bb8fc.JPG

The Tool I use a lot - Blue Point (Snap-On) air die grinder

IMG_1332.thumb.JPG.77755513195635fea1db9d1e85f67b25.JPG

The finished result. The top of the picture is a reflection of the tarmac drive and airline on the polished hull.

IMG_1335.thumb.JPG.1dda8e1d1e1bf89a93a03c7d3a2bbecc.JPG

Edited by GPSguru

5 hours ago, mick said:

Impressed.

I always use too much filler and the colour never matches.

Mask off just a small area around the chip with the blue masking tape, and then fill the chip. 👍

white is easiest, probably followed by international orange. Other colours can be a nightmare to get right.

10 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Mask off just a small area around the chip with the blue masking tape, and then fill the chip. 👍

white is easiest, probably followed by international orange. Other colours can be a nightmare to get right.

All our boats have been offwhite, pain in the arse ,now have XS in orange

Edited by mick