Importing Fishing Gear

Hi all,

Dows anyone know how I’d I go about importing fishing gear from USA/Aus? 

Im after some big game stuff and there is very limited choice in U.K. and what we do have appears expensive.... so wondering if import from aboroad maybe cheaper but not sure how to work out the duties etc? 🤔🤔

I bought an Accurate Boss Extreme reel from the US. I used Tackle Direct and they have an option on their site to pay the import duties up front so that it doesn't get stopped at customs. The price difference isn't that favourable so I'd only do it again for stuff we can't get hold of over here.

59 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Get someone to send you it as a gift, no duty then I believe

Ive sent stuff before but because I put the value of the item on the postage declaration (legal requirement) they got hit with all the duties and handling fees they would of gotten if it had come direct from a store. I believe there is a value that these fees don't apply on but if you under value an item and it gets lost you are stuffed insurance wise. Postage has gone a bit crazy too sending stuff from here in Oz back to the UK. Often though, most anglers carry pretty much to their weight limit which makes it hard to wind anyone to add a couple of kg to their bag.

Another option is to find out if anyone is heading overseas and get them to bring gear back, which isn't so easy now with Covid. I believe https://www.ottostackleworld.com.au ship gear back to the UK from here. I use a few US companies for the odd thing I get here but the last few years its been cheaper to buy here in Oz by quite a good amount.

From the USA it's items over £25 iirc, doesn't apply to everything and used stuff may be different also, otherwise it's 20% import and 20% vat. If you have friends/relatives get them to post it to you as a gift as already mentioned.

Never had anything shipped from Aus so can't comment, all I know is we can't package anything in wood to go to Aus... Not helpful to you that tho 🤣

9 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Hi all,

Dows anyone know how I’d I go about importing fishing gear from USA/Aus? 

Im after some big game stuff and there is very limited choice in U.K. and what we do have appears expensive.... so wondering if import from aboroad maybe cheaper but not sure how to work out the duties etc? 🤔🤔

Spain, Italy and possibly Portugal have a better selection of big game gear than usually found here. 

Like this Spanish online retailer where my last 6 reels have come from https://www.waveinn.com/nautical-fishing/fishing-equipment-reels/14659/s#fq=id_familia%3A11272&fq={!tag=ds}id_subfamilia%3A14659&fq=id_tienda%3A7&sort=v30+desc,product(tm7, dispo)+asc&start=0&fq=atributos%3A-849_4011_1-

Edited by headlight

17 minutes ago, iowspence said:

Stu’s online shop should be live shortly. He’s just checking that everything is all up to scratch and it will be up and running. 

i don’t think he’s cone across yet?? @cloudylemon he’s up to his eyes in it at the mo, with the shop and trying to buy a boat

Stu/Cloudy is now known as @British Big Game Fishing on here Spence 👍

2 hours ago, iowspence said:

Ive just brought a rod from the AUS as I can’t get any Penn stuff in the UK? Worked out really well. Took about 10 days to get here. Rod was £145 and paid £25 income tax. 

That was through an EBay shop who was good as gold. Has a rating of 100% over 11k of sales. 

Stu’s online shop should be live shortly. He’s just checking that everything is all up to scratch and it will be up and running. 

i don’t think he’s cone across yet?? @cloudylemon he’s up to his eyes in it at the mo, with the shop and trying to buy a boat, but will No doubt have Some 50’s in stock in the very near future @Odyssey 👍

I bought Rokmax"s last Penn Ally rod 😂

Gee's just looked at the spec, that would be 2kg of reel when loaded with line. Anyone with any longterm experience using them ? my old penn international reels all started off smooth but soon degraded after a few mako's and tuna.