Gilkicker, 8th Nov. Surprisingly, not a blank.

Andy135

In the spirit of continuing to learning the mark, I gave Gilkicker a shot last night from the shore. I arrived just after low and planned to fish the flood for a few hours to see what species might be present. One rod at distance with pennelled 4/0's and double-squid, and one closer in with black lug tipped with squid tentacles on a size 1.

QYExqNk.jpg

The forecast said westerly, 8's and 9's dropping to 4's and 5's (mph) but in fact the wind speed picked up throughout the evening. No rain though, which was a plus.

Bites were thin on the ground but at least the weed was too. I missed a couple of rattles that didn't really develop into anything, and annoyingly had something drop off halfway to shore. Luckily the best fish of all put in an appearance and saved the blank.

fxxSnt3.jpg

Which was followed by a whelk, hooked in the foot.

22pJGF4.jpg

Packed up at 10pm and was home by 11.30. Not a brilliant night, but also not a blank. Always good to get at least a little bit of fishing in on the weekend.

26 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Good effort, at least you scratched the itch!! 

You know what, that's pretty much exactly what the trip was for. Can't have a weekend without wetting a line in some way 😬

22 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

good effort - well done for trying - especially in the cold!

Thanks Mike. Speaking of cold, the zip broke on my fishing jacket, and I really could have done with it zipped up properly! Brrr!

On 11/8/2021 at 11:44 AM, Andy135 said:

In the spirit of continuing to learning the mark, I gave Gilkicker a shot last night from the shore. I arrived just after low and planned to fish the flood for a few hours to see what species might be present. One rod at distance with pennelled 4/0's and double-squid, and one closer in with black lug tipped with squid tentacles on a size 1.

QYExqNk.jpg

The forecast said westerly, 8's and 9's dropping to 4's and 5's (mph) but in fact the wind speed picked up throughout the evening. No rain though, which was a plus.

Bites were thin on the ground but at least the weed was too. I missed a couple of rattles that didn't really develop into anything, and annoyingly had something drop off halfway to shore. Luckily the best fish of all put in an appearance and saved the blank.

fxxSnt3.jpg

Which was followed by a whelk, hooked in the foot.

22pJGF4.jpg

Packed up at 10pm and was home by 11.30. Not a brilliant night, but also not a blank. Always good to get at least a little bit of fishing in on the weekend.

Well done Andy.

I am watching the weather like a hawk, just itching to get out to the wrecks, and as soon as a good day turns up, within hours it has gone from F2 to F7/8 and the wind in a totally different direction. In many years of weather watching, I don't think I have ever seen such variation in the models on the 3 or 6 hour updates, bloody nightmare.

6 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Well done Andy.

I am watching the weather like a hawk, just itching to get out to the wrecks, and as soon as a good day turns up, within hours it has gone from F2 to F7/8 and the wind in a totally different direction. In many years of weather watching, I don't think I have ever seen such variation in the models on the 3 or 6 hour updates, bloody nightmare.

It's covids fault. Any kind of poor service is down to covid.