Operation Cod…. Postponed

Odyssey

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Brilliant! I do love a good doggie pic! Thanks for sharing and well done on a busy, productive session. Lovely looking ray.

Shame about the WAFI though. Numpty 👎.

It’s ok, he had a nice wake to navigate through coming out the locks 😉 

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

So first session off Cardiff in over 18 months today. Managed to remember bait and boat keys. Remembered what VHF channel to get out the locks… all this good stuff couldn’t last….

Had a “chat” with the sailing yatch next to me who kept complaining that there was a smell of smoke and diesel fumes and I needed to turn my engines off…. I did, he didn’t believe me as there was still a smell…. I pointed out the even bigger yacht behind him was smoky and told him to speak to them…. He wouldn’t as it was his commodore or something… anyway, he had a lesson that outboards are petrol….

he promptly nearly crashed into me leaving the lock…. Got to love Cardiff clowns 😡

Got to my mark, first cast, birds nest…. Oops! 

got bait in water, then the plague of rats arrived…. After too many animated turds I moved…. 

Nexr mark was blonde central, loads of them! A few eels (slimy grey turds) and more dogfish (animated turds). 

Ended up with a good number of blondes, couple of congers and loads of dogs. Chatting to the other boats in lock it appeared no cod caught…

Personally I’m blaming @jonnyswamp for hiding them all. It’s rude not to share so hopefully he’ll be nice and let the rest of us have some! 

a few pics of my clean boat, rays and a doggie to keep @Andy135 happy…

5A99961A-2D0C-4979-8D05-B296D5F7325B.jpeg

6ADD4A11-8665-45BD-A70D-793D44DCCFBA.jpeg

163606DA-C6EA-4EEC-AD7C-E67E579EBBFF.jpeg

I hope they're not hiding tomorrow, at least you caught a few

Where did you try, I'm probably going on the bank first then up to Clevedon/Ladye bay on the flood

38 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

I hope they're not hiding tomorrow, at least you caught a few

Where did you try, I'm probably going on the bank first then up to Clevedon/Ladye bay on the flood

Tried the banks all day, go south if you’re trying that 

5 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

looks like an awesome day out! 

To be fair, the channel does fish well for rays, some lunkers in there too…

Just if your after a cod you have to get through them all. I’m only cod mad as there is a cod comp next weekend so still undecided where to head…. I’ve got a few ideas but weather is now looking dodgy for my favoured marks, tide is too big for mid channel or do I head up 20 miles past the bridges or do I sit 1 mike offshore worth about 100 other boats and hope I get lucky 🤣

7 hours ago, Odyssey said:

To be fair, the channel does fish well for rays, some lunkers in there too…

Just if your after a cod you have to get through them all. I’m only cod mad as there is a cod comp next weekend so still undecided where to head…. I’ve got a few ideas but weather is now looking dodgy for my favoured marks, tide is too big for mid channel or do I head up 20 miles past the bridges or do I sit 1 mike offshore worth about 100 other boats and hope I get lucky 🤣

I may go down round the corner until low, then come back up on the flood and squeeze in on the coral/rannie for the last couple of hours

Or, as you say, use a fivers worth of fuel and stay local all day

When fish are few and far between (cod) I tend to get itchy feet and don't like staying in one place

6 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

I may go down round the corner until low, then come back up on the flood and squeeze in on the coral/rannie for the last couple of hours

Or, as you say, use a fivers worth of fuel and stay local all day

When fish are few and far between (cod) I tend to get itchy feet and don't like staying in one place

I know the feeling…. 

wind is from north so rules out going over other side so maybe Sully bay, kettle on and fluke one out…