New rod

1 hour ago, DINOBOY said:

I had the daiwa tournament 8-15lb class rod delivered yesterday, seems pretty nice in the hands very light and well made. Anyone else using this range?  

I use the Kenzaki's which are a very similar blank. Lovely rods and the action is quite soft with a good sensitivity for feeling bites, but then goes down to a lot of power in the butt section. Daiwa certainly make very good boat rods.

2 hours ago, GPSguru said:

I use the Kenzaki's which are a very similar blank. Lovely rods and the action is quite soft with a good sensitivity for feeling bites, but then goes down to a lot of power in the butt section. Daiwa certainly make very good boat rods.

This might sound a bit heretical but I find the Kenzaki's a bit too soft after buying an Ugly Stik GX2. Seems like I prefer the tippier action of the Uglies compares with the more through action of the Kenzaki's. They just feel more capable when fishing with a heavy lead on and give better feel for the action of the fish.

#burnhim!

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

This might sound a bit heretical but I find the Kenzaki's a bit too soft after buying an Ugly Stik GX2. Seems like I prefer the tippier action of the Uglies compares with the more through action of the Kenzaki's. They just feel more capable when fishing with a heavy lead on and give better feel for the action of the fish.

#burnhim!

A rod is quite a personal choice and even though you can get the feel of a rod in a shop, you don't really know if it will suit you until it is used in anger.

So yeah, I can fully understand that you prefer the Ugly's.

3 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

A rod is quite a personal choice and even though you can get the feel of a rod in a shop, you don't really know if it will suit you until it is used in anger.

So yeah, I can fully understand that you prefer the Ugly's.

Thing is, it only took me four Kenzaki's to work out that I prefer a tippier rod, and one that costs half the price of a single Kenzaki 🤦‍♂️🤣

I was fortunate in that the last time I was looking for a new rod, one of the ones I was looking at, the skipper had just bought, and had on board, so he let me try it in advance.... I've probably been unfortunate that the last 3-4 pieces of shakespeare tackle were utter shite, 2 imploding multipliers, a long nose fixed spool that was a short spool reel with a long nose spool (4mm gap between line and spool lip top and bottom)..... The boat rod I bought was ok ish, except it started falling apart very quickly. I moved on to diawa rods after that (sea rods that is) and they did a job, but nothing comes close to the greys rods I have now, after trying loads of different rods on charters....

I guess the moral is, where possible, try before you buy

9 hours ago, Andy135 said:

#burnhim!

The ugly stick I have is a great rod considering the £60 ish price that it comes in at. I had overlooked them before because they were too cheap. 

2 minutes ago, JonC said:

The ugly stick I have is a great rod considering the £60 ish price that it comes in at. I had overlooked them before because they were too cheap. 

Yep, I had overlooked/looked down on them because of the price until @Odyssey and @headlight recommended a 30/50lb one for blue sharks. I then tried a 20/30 for regular downtiding and made the switch.

Ugly sticks are great value for the money. 

I currently use shimano vengeance slim. Got it on waveinn last year for just under £40. It’s a cross between the tippy ugly sticks and the Kenzakis.

For my uptiding it’s the TDU410. It’s probably 25+ years old but still a lovely pair of rods 🙂 

i bought a 2nd hand ugly stick 20-30lb and found it quite sturdy, feels heavier and up to the task - but i was lucky enough to be given 2 Leeda icons - a brand new 12-20lb and a used 20-30lb = these are now my every day rods paired with slosh 20 and 30 respectively, and i find them a great mix between sensitivity and power.

i'll use the ugly stick in deeper water or when wrecking though.