Olympic Fishing Tackle Co. Japan

Andy135

Just got given some brand new but old (likely 80's-ish) tackle from a neighbour, who got given it from someone else who found it in their loft.

A boxed spinning reel, looks to be a coarse reel judging by the yards per lb test figures shown on the spool (8-12lb test). Drag was done up tight... but still works fine once I backed it off. It's a hefty weight as it has a cast aluminium body, rotor and spool. Wouldn't want to carry it around on a river bank all day but would be fine in a rod holder on a boat.

mFdLYTK.jpg

V2XPTZ2.jpg

B9mcGgr.jpg

Some split shot - 36p per box! How old??

vjq1kwA.jpg

And the world's smallest Toby lure, still in its original packaging complete with hook protector (which I understand is how @GPSguru likes to fish with them).

xyVnAhO.jpg

And an 11ft beach rod, with ceramic eyes, cork foregrip and butt grip, stainless reel seat and a folding first ring, which foxed me at first as I've never seen one like it before.

wkHEIwI.jpg

TKs8Hfg.jpg

wFu24fN.jpg

u7Q4ZGO.jpg

I'm tempted to test it out as an uptiding set up. The rod is a bit short for a proper beachcaster, but should be ok to lob a 6 and bait a few yards uptide. The reel drag may be a little light, but I could look to replace it with a carbontex washer stack if necessary. The stack itself looks spotless.

kVvNdBk.jpg

Do any of our more... well-seasoned... members remember the brand? Any good/worth keeping?

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

I'm guessing you've googled the company and seen that they still make fishing rods and stuff? 
I know nothing of their quality but it sure looks pretty nice! 
I like the retro look! 

Yeah, I did have a quick look on my phone but couldn't find them 🤷‍♂️.

Got a linky?

53 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

https://olympic-co-ltd.jp/fishing/material-technology-en/

looks like they make golf bats too/2/tu

I found them, but they say they were started in 2001? 

https://olympic-co-ltd.jp/top/aboutus.html

I vaguely remember them and as Jon says, the reel looks reminiscent of the diawas of the time...... Is it the folding reing you haven't seen before? Quite common at one time for rods built for egg whisks. I still have one I use

26 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

I vaguely remember them and as Jon says, the reel looks reminiscent of the diawas of the time...... Is it the folding reing you haven't seen before? Quite common at one time for rods built for egg whisks. I still have one I use

Yes, the folding ring was new to me, and it's certainly large enough to accommodate fixed spools, so what you say makes sense.

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

I found them, but they say they were started in 2001? 

https://olympic-co-ltd.jp/top/aboutus.html

Oh ok, I didn't look that far. I noticed that they are not called Olympic fishing Co Ltd any more, just Olympic Co Ltd. 
Maybe the original company was rebranded after financial troubles? Who knows. 
So what's the idea with the folding ring? 

11 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Oh ok, I didn't look that far. I noticed that they are not called Olympic fishing Co Ltd any more, just Olympic Co Ltd. 
Maybe the original company was rebranded after financial troubles? Who knows. 
So what's the idea with the folding ring? 

Folding rings were common, just for storage. 

21 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

lovely retrro gear - deffo give it a go - i'd be tempted to keet the toby lure in its packaging though - museum piece that!

i have a folding first ring on my DAM devilstick - 15ft 3 piece - its right next to me - hang on i'll get a pic......

Come on Mike..............zzzzzzzzzzz