Oh the joys

7 minutes ago, JonC said:

Do you use a special type of anti foul on the prop? I read somewhere that regular antifoul wax detrimental to the bronze props.I may have dreamt that though. 

It was anti fouled by the previous owners as I have yet to use the boat as I have been doing her up but it seems the problem is due to electrolysis as I have checked the continuity between the anodes and the shaft and there is no connection, how long this has been like this I do not know.

8 minutes ago, 240z said:

It was anti fouled by the previous owners as I have yet to use the boat as I have been doing her up but it seems the problem is due to electrolysis as I have checked the continuity between the anodes and the shaft and there is no connection, how long this has been like this I do not know.

Do you have a prop anode? I know some boats have tiny little anodes on the prop that last nowhere near a year. 
When I had my prop refurbished it looked too nice to go back in the water, it’s been in a year and a half now so don’t want to know how bad it is. 

• 1 month later...

This has turned into a job and a half and ended up with me having to replace coupling, shaft, propeller, stern tube, cutlass bearing and housing. Looking at a bill of about 2k because the previous owner neglected the anodes.