Wreckfinder

Odyssey

Does anyone have this? Im reluctant to pay £30 without seeing a demo... ideally of what’s around west Wales. 

im looking for early spring wrecking for pollack 

Likewise, I'm cautious of paying for a service with no guarantee of accuracy. That said, I think those who have used it find the numbers generally reliable. I seem to remember that @Saintly Fish had a subscription to it once upon a time?

4 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Does anyone have this? Im reluctant to pay £30 without seeing a demo... ideally of what’s around west Wales. 

You’ll still be under house arrest, why bother. 

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

Likewise, I'm cautious of paying for a service with no guarantee of accuracy. That said, I think those who have used it find the numbers generally reliable. I seem to remember that @Saintly Fish had a subscription to it once upon a time?

I don’t use it. I do however subscribe to this site...

https://wrecksite.eu/chartDetails.aspx?455#&&aj=UAenOXUVwmU9iw%2fA9QOyTgRGgAIDydHrunk7PLUSW3QBCm57ARc4P3LOhwhTosMWn8NrHObkSsXihN0fCTTgcPLUStK0LEScsIQTa0P2xLak9NYZA%3d

4 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Yes, I use it, but not very often ........... my main source of data is Wrecksite.eu ................. Wreckfinder is good, but not as good a wrecksite

Wrecksite is deadly accurate with position and info ............. all I do is sit and populate my Plotter from my PC using Garmin Homeport

Wrecksite can save you a load of wasted fuel, as it gives a lot of info about the wrecks and their orientation, height above the seabed and if they are intact or not .......... all this info can be added to the waypoint in the plotter ..................

Do you want access to wrecksite to try it  ? 😇 ................. or do you want me post up some screen shots (normally you can't do that from wecksite UKHO Charts, but I have the technology ..............

I suppose even the welsh leisure centre (a sheep tied to lamppost) is banned at the moment ..............🤣

Edited by GPSguru

7 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

How much is wreck site? 

£29, but when you renew each year they give you some discount, I think I paid about £26 this year ............

Wrecksite is free to sign up, but you pay for access to the admiralty charts (UKHO), which is where the £29 goes ..........

Surely you'd only need to sign up for a single year, you'd add your local wrecks to your plotter, plus any others further afield that you might want to explore, then not renew?

What value is there in renewing the subscription?

7 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Surely you'd only need to sign up for a single year, you'd add your local wrecks to your plotter, plus any others further afield that you might want to explore, then not renew?

What value is there in renewing the subscription?

Wrecks change and new ones are added ................ also it is good to try new areas from time to time ................

When I say 'wrecks change', they break up, or a storm causes some seabed movement etc ............ the inffo regarding the tidal scours around the wreck (length, depth etc) is very important for fishing ......... their info is being updated all the time, and for a resource of this quality, then £30ish is not a lot to pay ...............

BTW: With Wreckfinder ............... they were offering it cheaper from their website (Wreckfinder.co.uk) than buying through the Apple store ............... I doubt that I will renew mine next year. Apparently, there is a software issue when used with Android, but I only use Apple devices these days ................

8 hours ago, GPSguru said:

BTW: With Wreckfinder ............... they were offering it cheaper from their website (Wreckfinder.co.uk) than buying through the Apple store

Do you use an app when on the iPhone ? I just use the web page but it’s crap on a phone or tablet. 

Ok sounds like I’ll need to open my wallet 🙂 

At least £30 ain’t too bad. I’ve never done much wrecking so be interesting to see how it works but be nice to try something else than sharking and if the reefs are quiet more chance on the wrecks for the bigger pollack

5 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

What is this Ian. I have two new Garmin units and I use the Active captain app for updating my units. Don’t think I’ve seen this homeport. 

Homeport also used to support active captain, but I think they removed the support as active captain can be quite flaky ...........

All you need with Homport is to copy your inbuilt plotter chart onto a SD card and then you need an SD card reader on the PC ........... then your PC effectively becomes your plotter. After each trip I always save the 'user data' to the sd card and then analyse the active track on homeport .............. Also your sd card becomes a definitive backup of your plotter marks ..............

Homeport is here ............... https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=7263

Edited by GPSguru
Changed text to URL Link

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Do you use an app when on the iPhone ? I just use the web page but it’s crap on a phone or tablet. 

Yes, I use the wreckfinder App on my Iphone 11 pro max ................. however, I dont use it often enough to justify it, I prefer Wrecksite.eu

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Ok sounds like I’ll need to open my wallet 🙂 

At least £30 ain’t too bad. I’ve never done much wrecking so be interesting to see how it works but be nice to try something else than sharking and if the reefs are quiet more chance on the wrecks for the bigger pollack

Well, here you go ................. a screen grab of a bit of sea near Milford

MH.thumb.jpg.04c52244bec5a67781deeff0690e57f4.jpg

I then clicked on the wreck of the SS Philotis near the Turbot bank .......... it brings up a lot of info that you have to scroll through so I grabbed it in 2 setions ........

1812518311_SSPhilotis_1.thumb.jpg.402766fae6d97bc261274792dfa6fcb1.jpg

726287415_SSPhilotis_2.thumb.jpg.fa10a0b2fb62d9bfd8312cfcad022ee9.jpg

Looks detailed 🙂 

I plan to start finding wrecks on way in/out to sharking and can have quick look if there is much structure. If there is can always come back for a dangle 🙂 

• 3 weeks later...

I use wrecksite.eu but look down the column for reliability good fair and poor. But its good also lots of information about the wrecks. Just dont say if they hold fish. I have 1 wreck that always produces.  other wreks throw up bits and some seem barron but with loads of structure. Having said that im learnig and pretty new to it.