engine stringers

good evening all i have got to change my engine mounts next week and one of the stingers is a bit rotten  i have got some oak timbers to go back in our is there something better to use plus i will need to glass them in  and then try and realign the engine have any body changed them is it best to just lift the motor a bit and do one at the time our just lift it right out many thanks daio

Just now, daio web said:

good evening all i have got to change my engine mounts next week and one of the stingers is a bit rotten  i have got some oak timbers to go back in our is there something better to use plus i will need to glass them in  and then try and realign the engine have any body changed them is it best to just lift the motor a bit and do one at the time our just lift it right out many thanks daio

@Geoff

Geoff will know, he loves fucking about with fibreglass 

It sounds like the sort of job where you'd want as much working room as possible, which would steer me to taking the engine right out. If you left the engine in but lifted wouldn't it have to remain lifted while the glass hardened?

13 minutes ago, daio web said:

i have been told that i can do it by a feeler gauge i cant see how a laser would help 

Well a mate of mine had one of his engine mounts break whilst under way. So the engine was lifted and mounts replaced etc. when they put the engine back in they used feeler gauges and it was off by a couple of mm. It caused terrible vibration through the shaft, so much so that he had to get it laser aligned. Never been a problem since. 

7 hours ago, daio web said:

i am dreading it 

Nothing to dread about fibreglass work - just common sense really. Just ensure that every thing is clean, dry and well abraided. Bonding in and glassing over a new stringer should be no problem, or do you mean to replace the engine bearers? If you do remove the engine it will give you the chance to properly inspect the bearers and check out and clean the bilge which is bound to be a bit mucky under the engine. It is also worth flow coating your new glasswork and any other areas that need it. Getting the engine re-aligned is another matter, bur out should not be too difficult. Good luck. Geoff.

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

Nothing to dread about fibreglass work - just common sense really. Just ensure that every thing is clean, dry and well abraided. Bonding in and glassing over a new stringer should be no problem, or do you mean to replace the engine bearers? If you do remove the engine it will give you the chance to properly inspect the bearers and check out and clean the bilge which is bound to be a bit mucky under the engine. It is also worth flow coating your new glasswork and any other areas that need it. Getting the engine re-aligned is another matter, bur out should not be too difficult. Good luck. Geoff.

i will be ok on the fibre glass and prep work its going to be realgining the engine back up do you think oak bearers are ok at the moment the shaft is bolted direct to the gearbox would i be better of fitting one of those r and d cushion spacers  our go for the same set up many thanks daio

5 hours ago, daio web said:

i will be ok on the fibre glass and prep work its going to be realgining the engine back up do you think oak bearers are ok at the moment the shaft is bolted direct to the gearbox would i be better of fitting one of those r and d cushion spacers  our go for the same set up many thanks daio

I would go as you are, it's worked so far.

As for engine alignment, before you move anything. Mark some datums on the hull and measure it all up, so when it goes back you are as close as can be before trying to align. There are some fairly cheap tools that can help you out as well, such as an inclinometer, digital ones of these can be had fairly cheaply. Laser lines are just posh string lines, string is cheap......

When lifting an engine if the mounts are not disturbed does it still need alignment? I ask because I am contemplating lifting mine out on a chain block to clean and paint the engine bay. It looks like other than the shaft there’s not much else to it .I’ll also be able to recover all he 10mm sockets. 

10 minutes ago, JonC said:

When lifting an engine if the mounts are not disturbed does it still need alignment? I ask because I am contemplating lifting mine out on a chain block to clean and paint the engine bay. It looks like other than the shaft there’s not much else to it .I’ll also be able to recover all he 10mm sockets. 

Seems a bit of a faff Jon just to paint. Why not just clean and use a long roller? Or don't bother. 

1 hour ago, JonC said:

You would miss the ballast of all those 10mm sockets!!