Volvo 280 leg

Geoff

I have spent the day down at the boat club today to try to get the reverse latch sorted on my Carrera's DP 280 leg. We (diesel engineer and myself) had to raid the latch mechanism from a spare leg leg and really struggled to get the corroded latch operating bar out of the leg and it's replacement properly adjusted. This was done without removing the leg, but with hindsight it would have been easier to remove the leg to do it. The credit for getting the job done goes to the engineer and not to myself (just a gofor this time). I would however like to source a damaged or scrap 280 leg as there are several parts I now need to restore the donor leg. I also want to reduce the power demand that my 280 duoprop requires as the engineer thinks that the engine is not quite powerful enough to drive the duoprop which leads to over fueling at wider throttle openings  (which leads to dense black smoke) and that I would be better with a single prop leg. As an experiment to prove this I suggested that it may be possible to fit a dummy hub on one one set of splines making it basically a single prop. I wondered if anybody had or was aware of a totally scrap prop that I could remove the blades from and run that as a dummy. I will post a request in the classified section, but am posting on here as well as it may have a wider audience. Thank you. Geoff.

22 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I have spent the day down at the boat club today to try to get the reverse latch sorted on my Carrera's DP 280 leg. We (diesel engineer and myself) had to raid the latch mechanism from a spare leg leg and really struggled to get the corroded latch operating bar out of the leg and it's replacement properly adjusted. This was done without removing the leg, but with hindsight it would have been easier to remove the leg to do it. The credit for getting the job done goes to the engineer and not to myself (just a gofor this time). I would however like to source a damaged or scrap 280 leg as there are several parts I now need to restore the donor leg. I also want to reduce the power demand that my 280 duoprop requires as the engineer thinks that the engine is not quite powerful enough to drive the duoprop which leads to over fueling at wider throttle openings  (which leads to dense black smoke) and that I would be better with a single prop leg. As an experiment to prove this I suggested that it may be possible to fit a dummy hub on one one set of splines making it basically a single prop. I wondered if anybody had or was aware of a totally scrap prop that I could remove the blades from and run that as a dummy. I will post a request in the classified section, but am posting on here as well as it may have a wider audience. Thank you. Geoff.

You diesel or petrol powered?

I know you're after used parts, but if all else fails then a call to coastal rides may benefit you! 
here's their web site, they do refurbs etc so a call could be worth it. 

https://coastalrides.co.uk/sterndrive-spares---parts/280 Single Prop Parts

I had a 290 duo prop on my last boat and had trouble with the reverse latch not engaging, I took it off and made some stainless brackets to stop the leg kicking up in reverse

My problem was due to lack of maintenance on the pivot shaft (hadn't been greased) so the reverse latch didn't turn when the leg turned, therefore not engaging when reverse was selected

I still have the latch mechanism somewhere, also got a set of A3 or 4 props in the garage somewhere

Edited by jonnyswamp
wrong info on first post and a crap memory

4 hours ago, JonC said:

I like the sound of the dense black smoke 

Maybe a new PN flavour for you Jon? I know that you would like some pictures.  Geoff.  :classic_wink: