What batteries

Now I've got my alternator problem sorted (cheers Zook) I will be replacing my one house battery (dying due to alt problem) with 2 new ones of around 100 AH each

The idea being one for the windlass and one for the rest of the electrics. I'll probably go with a pair Numax XV31MF as these fit in the battery well, unless anyone can recommend a better alternative (both of these batteries need to be 175mm x 330mm max to fit in the well)

I also want to fit a new starter battery and am open to suggestions as to something suitable to spin over a 4.2l diesel straight 6

The size of this battery isn't really an issue as I have to make a tray for it

Any thoughts ?

38 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Now I've got my alternator problem sorted (cheers Zook) I will be replacing my one house battery (dying due to alt problem) with 2 new ones of around 100 AH each

The idea being one for the windlass and one for the rest of the electrics. I'll probably go with a pair Numax XV31MF as these fit in the battery well, unless anyone can recommend a better alternative (both of these batteries need to be 175mm x 330mm max to fit in the well)

I also want to fit a new starter battery and am open to suggestions as to something suitable to spin over a 4.2l diesel straight 6

The size of this battery isn't really an issue as I have to make a tray for it

Any thoughts ?

Again, if you ask @suzook12 he has just set up some kind of trade deal with a battery company. He might be of help again? 

12 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Again, if you ask @suzook12 he has just set up some kind of trade deal with a battery company. He might be of help again? 

I won't pester him, I would think the delivery would be a bit prohibitive for me, would like peoples thoughts on brands though

I use Varta professional. A lot of batteries are a standard size. Best go for the largest Ah rating you can get in that footprint 🙂 

There’s a place that ships them for a reasonable price even if Zook can’t help 

Edited by Odyssey

3 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I use Varta professional. A lot of batteries are a standard size. Best go for the largest Ah rating you can get in that footprint 🙂 

I bought a pair of Hankook 110AH (when I first bought the boat)and these are around 350mm and too long to fit both in the tray/well

Are the Varta pros starter or leisure, or bit of both

Edited by jonnyswamp

2 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

I bought a pair of Hankook 110AH (when I first bought the boat)and these are around 350mm and too long to fit both in the tray/well

Are the Varta pros starter or leisure, or bit of both

Bit of both. 

Promotive Silver are in my boat. 

Most leisure batteries are just thicker plates to help cope with discharge. But a “normal” batteries are fine as house batteries 

I had a similar challenge JS - I wanted to replace the boat batteries but needed to fit within the existing battery boxes (same dimensions as yours - guessing they're the yellow top boxes?)

I went with G7 Varta Blue Dynamic 12V 95Ah batteries in the end - direct replacement for the batteries that were already there.

It seems the space JS has is the standard size for "marine " batteries. He also needs at least one to be dual purpose or start type battery. I don't know what budget JS has so the 2 I've posted are sort of medium to high end.

Ive used Varta before and rate them, I've used Yuasa before and highly rate them, have used Numax and not so keen, their bike batteries are shite! In fact, so shite, I wont sell them......