Echosounder Frequencies

13 minutes ago, WiFishing said:

A quick query on a dual frequency echosounder.  Will connecting the 50kHz and 200kHz wires round the wrong way cause damage?

Cheers

Generally no, but more info required, like the make and model of transducer, and the make and model of the sounder ?

I would expect the sounder to show an error for the transducer, by indicating that it is not present.

Edited by GPSguru

Hi Sorry for the delay in responding. Sounder is a Koden CVS-126. It has replaced a Koden CVS-832. The transducer is the original from the 832. It is a three wire transducer and works fine at slow speeds but at higher speeds above 7kts the screen just blanks. Sorry I don't have more info. It's a friends boat and I haven't been able to get onboard yet.

Cheers

4 hours ago, WiFishing said:

Hi Sorry for the delay in responding. Sounder is a Koden CVS-126. It has replaced a Koden CVS-832. The transducer is the original from the 832. It is a three wire transducer and works fine at slow speeds but at higher speeds above 7kts the screen just blanks. Sorry I don't have more info. It's a friends boat and I haven't been able to get onboard yet.

Cheers

Think I'd be checking the angle that it's fitted at as well as the KHz rate. I had this problem once, when you accelerated the transducer couldn't find the bottom because the bracket bolt had worked loose slightly , so the force of the water moved the angle. 

If you're losing bottom at higher speeds then as @Saintly Fish suggests, check the transducer bracket is correctly aligned (assuming it's a transom-mounted transducer). It should be parallel to the line of the keel, or even facing into it ever so slightly, in line with the very edge of the transom, and positioned so that it doesn't see any prop aeration. It also needs to be in the water at speed - sounds obvious but if its mounted too high on the transom then as the boat lifts onto the plane the transducer could come out if the water if incorrectly located.

10 hours ago, WiFishing said:

Cheers

A common problem !

The normal cause of this is the position of the transducer. It the transducer is placed in turbulent aerated water, then it will not work correctly at speed.

Can you post a picture of the transducer mounting position on the boat ?

Often the issue is that the transducer is too high for when the boat planes, but it can also be caused by incorrect positioning by lifting strakes or engine, where the aerated turbulence is greatest.

Mine will still read bottom at 40knts +

14 minutes ago, WiFishing said:

Thanks guys. The transducer is hull mounted and there wasn't a problem at speed before. Its a 6.2 Cheetah cat with aluminium pods.

Cheers

When you say hull mounted, does it run through a hole in the hull, or is it bonded inside the hull in a tank of oil/liquid and fires sound waves through the hull? In short, I think you're saying it's not transom mounted?

Update.

Managed to get onto the boat. Found the vessel speed was set to 0kts in the CVS-126. Changed this up to the maximum of 10kts and now the Sounder works up to this vessel speed. The previous sounder the Koden CVS-832 but this model has no vessel speed setting and worked up to the vessels fastest speed probably about 17kts.

46 minutes ago, WiFishing said:

Update.

Managed to get onto the boat. Found the vessel speed was set to 0kts in the CVS-126. Changed this up to the maximum of 10kts and now the Sounder works up to this vessel speed. The previous sounder the Koden CVS-832 but this model has no vessel speed setting and worked up to the vessels fastest speed probably about 17kts.

Well done for sorting out yourself. 
Sometimes it's just a simple thing over looked on set up! 👍🏻