Great Yarmouth 19th Aug

suzook12

Today we finally got out, last of 4 trips booked, 1st one the wind held off....

So, out the door bout 6am this morning to head for Gorleston and the High Flyer 2.

Got there around half seven and underway by 8am, Stopped off en route for a spot of maccy bashing, Tried 2 marks and had some decent size macks, some massive sand eels, a handful of the compulsory weaver fish and a few pout whiting.....

Headed for our first tope mark and pretty much hit the ground running. One lad had 2 around 35-40lb, then I was in to one, fecking big un too, couldn't stop it despite leaning on it hard, too hard as it goes as after 5 minutes braid parted company......

Another tope landed by another member of the party, then it was Mikey's turn. Took lots of line off of him then bang, rod snapped (the rovex @Andy135 gave him). Skipper hand lined it back to the boat, came in fairly easily til it saw the boat and another 40lb er lost.

We tried another mark a bit closer in out of the tide, I had a run but it dropped it, and that was pretty much that. Another mark tried, and nothing nada. Then it was 4pm and time to head back...

Awesome day out in the sunshine with good company. The skipper has invited us to try a night trip for tope one evening soon.... Better find the lad a new rod

Rod snapped?! Ouch, must have been a decent fish.

Where did it break? I've snapped a Rovex spinning rod pulling for a break from the boat - I was gutted as I really liked that one, so I bought a replacement which is still going strong so far.

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Rod snapped?! Ouch, must have been a decent fish.

Where did it break? I've snapped a Rovex spinning rod pulling for a break from the boat - I was gutted as I really liked that one, so I bought a replacement which is still going strong so far.

40lb pretty decent mate. It broke just above the spigot. He landed a similar size one last year when we got out usint that rod so who knows. Will have a rummage see what we have, have a diawa that needs a reel seat sorting, might have a 30lb class from my Dads collection he can use....

42 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

40lb pretty decent mate. It broke just above the spigot. He landed a similar size one last year when we got out usint that rod so who knows. Will have a rummage see what we have, have a diawa that needs a reel seat sorting, might have a 30lb class from my Dads collection he can use....

Same place mine broke - about 6 inches above the joint. 😥

8 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Same place mine broke - about 6 inches above the joint. 😥

Yeah, his was right above it, but that area is the big stress area...... It went in style, that's the main thing, bragging rights " smashed my rod it was sooo big" 🤣

If he’s still looking for a rod let me know, may have one stashed in back of garage I don’t use. Not sure on make but it’s maybe some kind of Abu… 

welcome to it for postage costs 🙂 

37 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

If he’s still looking for a rod let me know, may have one stashed in back of garage I don’t use. Not sure on make but it’s maybe some kind of Abu… 

welcome to it for postage costs 🙂 

Cheers mate

10 hours ago, mike farrants said:

nice one - glad you finally got out! been a struggle this year eh! at least you put a bend in the rod!

It has indeed...... Might get another one in yet before the tope move out 👍