PTT potential problem

20 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

Well it's finally sorted! The old motor was knackered drawing to much current which melted all the new wiring I'd carefully crafted so, it was on the hunt for a new motor.

It's a bloody nightmare trying to fing spares at a reasonable cost. I found the exact part from one site but at 687 Euros was very quickly dismissed. Loads of pattern parts from China for around £120 but no measurements for the hole spacings etc etc so couldn't commit to buy as resposibility is placed on the purchaser with no returns blah blah....

Finally settled on the same part from a British supplier at £165 all in so went for that. Perfect fit apart from the woefully inadequate O ring supplied so had to source one of the correct size and bingo, motor fitted, sealed and tested in the garage ready for fitting today.

Timed it perfectly with the tide, unhitched the back end mooring line, pulled her round and waited for the water to disappear. Got to work on fitting a new solenoid/relay pack, fitted the refurbed trim unit and re-connected the battery... quick test and I was good to go. Tidied up all the wiring with ties etc and watched the water flood back in very quickly with the Southerlies, got home and had an early beer 🙂

Looking forward to going out when there is a break in the weather (which we all know has been horrendous for weeks 😞) to try my new steering most of all... and very happy now the trim motor problem has been fixed and hopefully won't be giving me any issues for a good while to come ☺️

Untitled-74.png

Untitled-75.png

Nice one. You were quite lucky in the way that it all happened when the weather was so shit. You've not really missed much! 

5 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

Well it's finally sorted! The old motor was knackered drawing to much current which melted all the new wiring I'd carefully crafted so, it was on the hunt for a new motor.

It's a bloody nightmare trying to fing spares at a reasonable cost. I found the exact part from one site but at 687 Euros was very quickly dismissed. Loads of pattern parts from China for around £120 but no measurements for the hole spacings etc etc so couldn't commit to buy as resposibility is placed on the purchaser with no returns blah blah....

Finally settled on the same part from a British supplier at £165 all in so went for that. Perfect fit apart from the woefully inadequate O ring supplied so had to source one of the correct size and bingo, motor fitted, sealed and tested in the garage ready for fitting today.

Timed it perfectly with the tide, unhitched the back end mooring line, pulled her round and waited for the water to disappear. Got to work on fitting a new solenoid/relay pack, fitted the refurbed trim unit and re-connected the battery... quick test and I was good to go. Tidied up all the wiring with ties etc and watched the water flood back in very quickly with the Southerlies, got home and had an early beer 🙂

Looking forward to going out when there is a break in the weather (which we all know has been horrendous for weeks 😞) to try my new steering most of all... and very happy now the trim motor problem has been fixed and hopefully won't be giving me any issues for a good while to come ☺️

Untitled-74.png

Untitled-75.png

Excellent work Gary, and great that it is now sorted. 

I have been away all weekend Bass fishing, and will post up a report later 👍