Squid, tell me all about catching them

Piers, harbour walls or over reefs from your yak. Drop down vertically and retrieve slowly, or cast a little way out. Yamashita Warm Jackets are the go-to squid jigs. They often have luminous paint that you charge up with a torch, or a slot for a starlight.

You can either rig the jigs singly or on droppers from a main line.

56 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Piers, harbour walls or over reefs from your yak. Drop down vertically and retrieve slowly, or cast a little way out. Yamashita Warm Jackets are the go-to squid jigs. They often have luminous paint that you charge up with a torch, or a slot for a starlight.

You can either rig the jigs singly or on droppers from a main line.

Pretty much what I am intending to do, would like the yamashita but as squid are not caught or, possibly more importantly, not fished for, I will wait until I get pulls or a squid or two before shelling out big style. I have casting lures of several sizes and a few for droppers along with in line glowing commercial jigs. 

I have a couple of spots to try, one of which has had a report of one being caught and another where people report getting pulls but not getting fish or crabs on baits. Both are on estuary mouths so I presume that I should try when there is low fresh flows. There are 30-40'+ channels nearby and mainly sand bottoms. Idea is to fish close to channels late afternoon and as dark falls back onto the shallower sand.

Edited by Malc

99p Jigs work just as good as the Yamashita ones - colours vary - seems each will work on their day. I have a selection of expensive ones and cheap amazon ones - i use the cheap ones on the boat and the decent ones from the pier - only as i'm competing with lots of other people in close proximity!

I catch squid from the boat in the harbour entrance in 40' of water over mud/sand - 3 weighted jigs on a flapper - no need to move them - let the boat do the work - lead bouncing just off the bottom. would do this of the pier but i worry about snags and tangles.

image.png.38e76ba77a5d7374e433f727454ac7cd.png

image.png.0889d4abd08bb3b00e784f1485d4b28b.png

from the pier i use one weighted jig vertically - lightly flicked up and down between the pylons - various depths. others float for them, or cast and retrieve. 

Dawn or dusk seems better - but 2 weeks ago we caught them in full sunshine. needs to be settled - calm with good water visibility - here we need light winds and no rain for a good few days (rain runs out of the harbour and dirtys the water, wind stirs it up too much.)

most jigs have glow in the dark bits, and I add some additional glow in the dark soft beads above them - i charge them up with a UV torch every 10 mins or so

people do add lights or light up the water from the pier. you can also add a strip of bait to them - although ive never tried that!

this one fell to a DTD 'wounded fish'

image.png.2d1c10d73508fd45be9b0f7b4ae875d6.png  

And this one loved the yamashita

image.png.dac9bc07d9cdb03431b5e65ab2d829d5.png

my mate had 2 huge ones on cheap jigs last winter

image.png.bf4eb20a2a2578901a093e0d64002c86.png

Weymouth gets silly crazy for them - hoards pf people camping out on the pier lights everywhere! 

keep us posted - would love to hear how you get on - i absolutely love fishing for these amazing creatures!

On 10/3/2022 at 11:01 AM, mike farrants said:

keep us posted

Will do, just need the right conditions and I will be out, but I bet the right conditions will happen when I am munching on calamari and glugging Alhambra in a few weeks time!

4 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Ooh! Sounds good. Holiday pics also welcome here too 👍

How about something similar in the meantime? You know how people take pictures when lying on a lounger next to the pool, their lower legs and toes, perhaps a glint of sun and a long cold drink in a frosted glass?

What about pics of retired old fart's toes with TV in the background, tea and snacks during a break in binge watching "Inside Man" because its been pouring down?20221005_164955.thumb.jpg.2514d9e16ace4e97733feefcd2b44002.jpg

2 minutes ago, Malc said:

How about something similar in the meantime? You know how people take pictures when lying on a lounger next to the pool, their lower legs and toes, perhaps a glint of sun and a long cold drink in a frosted glass?

What about pics of retired old fart's toes with TV in the background, tea and snacks during a break in binge watching "Inside Man" because its been pouring down?20221005_164955.thumb.jpg.2514d9e16ace4e97733feefcd2b44002.jpg

🤣Brilliant! And you get extra points for having a springer mug too 👍

3 minutes ago, Malc said:

You should get off your arse and do some dusting 🙄

26 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

🤣Brilliant! And you get extra points for having a springer mug too 👍

That's cause my ducky cup is getting a decoke in the kitchen with my brewing sterilising solution. 

14 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Peanut m&m's??

Hell yeah, I was researching something so I can write a short essay and that's what I used to munch when doing research for my thesis and the boss bought them for me. She's a keeper!

23 minutes ago, Malc said:

That's cause my ducky cup is getting a decoke in the kitchen with my brewing sterilising solution. 

Hell yeah, I was researching something so I can write a short essay and that's what I used to munch when doing research for my thesis and the boss bought them for me. She's a keeper!

One of my fav snacks, along with a big bag of revels. 

16 hours ago, Malc said:

Peanut M&N's? - they were a real "TREAT" for years, why stop using a brilliant name for a great product. To me they are still and always will be TREATS and we love 'em. Geoff.

Edited by Geoff

14 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Peanut M&N's? - they were a real "TREAT" for years, why stop using a brilliant name for a great product. To me they are still and always will be TREATS and we love 'em. Geoff.

M&Ms please, you should get Neil to proof read before you post maybe?