Brass fittings into pump

8D16FB30-49E0-4B63-BE68-67FEB4D9D056.thumb.jpeg.10e5b55f577ca30217946956273b86da.jpegThe one on the left was supplied with the pump, it has some type of compound on the side that goes into the pump. The pump is on the boat, so can’t take a picture but it is just a threaded hole. 
The one on the right with the barb on is what I am fitting instead to connect to the existing line. I guess it’s fairly low pressure as the existing are only held in place with clips. 

35 minutes ago, JonC said:

8D16FB30-49E0-4B63-BE68-67FEB4D9D056.thumb.jpeg.10e5b55f577ca30217946956273b86da.jpegThe one on the left was supplied with the pump, it has some type of compound on the side that goes into the pump. The pump is on the boat, so can’t take a picture but it is just a threaded hole. 
The one on the right with the barb on is what I am fitting instead to connect to the existing line. I guess it’s fairly low pressure as the existing are only held in place with clips. 

Some loctite 55 cord might help??

34 minutes ago, JonC said:

If it’s a tape type product I’ve read not to use it, for fear of debris getting into the pump. That’s why I thought some magic glue or something? 

It's not Ptfe tape, but a single wrap cord. Doesn't leave debris. Take a look. 

5 hours ago, JonC said:

For that application, you need Loctite 577.

It is good for all thread fittings and also fuel proof.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/uk/en/product/thread-sealants/loctite_577.html

8 hours ago, suzook12 said:

I've never heard of debris as a reason not to use PTFE; I would certainly use it on that joint with a coating of monkey spunk (liquid ptfe) or 577, oe even just on its own

Ptfe and sealing paste?? That's a bit ott Steve!! 

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Ptfe and sealing paste?? That's a bit ott Steve!! 

No, not paste, liquid, but no, quite common..... Probably harks back to the days of boss white and hemp. I often use PTFE on its own, but prefer to use 577 with it to lock it in once cured. We weren't allowed to use PTFE on rolling stock due to fire risk! H and S gone mad again!! Found 577 to be more than up to it, but bloody expensive, especially compared to tape but I have some 577 and some 572 so tend to use it...

11 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

No, not paste, liquid, but no, quite common..... Probably harks back to the days of boss white and hemp. I often use PTFE on its own, but prefer to use 577 with it to lock it in once cured. We weren't allowed to use PTFE on rolling stock due to fire risk! H and S gone mad again!! Found 577 to be more than up to it, but bloody expensive, especially compared to tape but I have some 577 and some 572 so tend to use it...

Ahh ok, thread lock. I thought by liquid Ptfe you meant something like Jet Blue. 
I still use paste and hemp at work!! 

#oldskooltothemax

26 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

No I'm not as old as yew!!

makes me wonder who is the oldest/youngest on here? 🤔🤔🤔

then again age is just a number

3 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

makes me wonder who is the oldest/youngest on here? 🤔🤔🤔

then again age is just a number

The oldest, easy.... @Geoff
He also takes the man in child's body award. And the title for the longest boat build in history. He's quite the hero really🤣

13 hours ago, GPSguru said:

For that application, you need Loctite 577.

It is good for all thread fittings and also fuel proof.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/uk/en/product/thread-sealants/loctite_577.html

You just looked for the most expensive 🤣

I just paid £25 for this. I now need a lie down. 

B8C75CBC-460D-4EE2-8ABB-4A2C996B1943.jpeg

4 minutes ago, JonC said:

You just looked for the most expensive 🤣

I just paid £25 for this. I now need a lie down. 

B8C75CBC-460D-4EE2-8ABB-4A2C996B1943.jpeg

Nah, I used locktite 577 when I changed the the fuel filter housing on the Jeep. That went from American tapered fuel fitting to metric.

I have also used it other applications where I want a thread to seal, but I also want to be able to undo it without a ton of agro.

I also use 638, for the balustrade around the raised  deck, but that stuff is mega expensive