Other people's tackle

Not that kind, but I am a bit of a tackle tart and I also don't like seeing tackle lying around on beaches and piers.

Yesterday when my wife and I were walking along the beach I spotted a carrier bag sized lump of weed and line, so I picked it up with the intention of binning it but as there were a good few beads in it I took it home to recycle what I could. Now the pier next to the beach is frequented by mackerel bashers of all varieties, bait gatherers, doped up young lads, holiday makers, and various different nationalities of people who want to fill their freezer. So mostly I find daylights etc or heaps of nylon and the occasional lead weight, this time it was a little different in among the weed and line. 

20221010_124101.thumb.jpg.d4f881cad6cad36a0973cc555eaba7fa.jpg

Alloy line crimps, huge link swivels, the orange line is 80lb or so and so stiff but the line on the other side is 15lb or so, the tubes look to be luminous and slid onto fine wire hooks that were whipped to the line even though they had eyes???

Anyhow, I now have some throwaway bits n bobs to be hurled into kelp gulleys or lowered into snaggy reefs. Perhaps I shouldn't be worried about my tackle when you see stuff like this. BTW if you wonder why daylights etc are so cheap, I'm surprised that the hooks last one outing as I rarely find the hook but the rest of the gear is still there!

That looks like a hodge-podge of terminal bits. Was it all from one rig, or could it be from more than one rig/angler?

In a way I'm glad to see the hooks have dissolved - thinking about fish snap-offs or cutting the line on deep-hooked fish here.

32 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

That looks like a hodge-podge of terminal bits. Was it all from one rig, or could it be from more than one rig/angler?

In a way I'm glad to see the hooks have dissolved - thinking about fish snap-offs or cutting the line on deep-hooked fish here.

Looks like one hefty two hook set with the spiral link and alloy crimps which may have had the luminous tubing too as the snood swivels were trapped between luminous beads, two other bits of odd swivel and beads, then some of the black line for making snoods (can't think of the name atm) and a set of daylights there was also a good length of 80lb shock leader but that might have been part of something already mentioned. Possibly 5 different rigs?

Both the luminous tubing and daylights hooks were either well rusted or totally missing and I agree that this is a good sign but it asks questions about lure hooks which seem to be quite resistant to corrosion. 

Edited by Malc

If anglers believe fish are attracted to all that jazzel do they also consider fish may eat it when it breaks apart. If so is that considered ok to lose on a regular basis shore fishing. I don't see much difference between that and throwing all the bait bags, cig butts and other rubbish into the ocean.