Lead making etc

thejollysinker

I make my own mainly 2-4oz bombs for the kayak and also have 3-4oz pear shaped watch moulds. I need to make up some more but will have to use my daughters garage as its too cold outside to get good pours and my shed is too small. 

I also have 2 jig head moulds which are good. 

I have never cast anything in lead. I do have a white metal casting facility (made hundreds of different items for my miniatures). I have thought about cast lead weights. I have 2 centrifugal casting machines and a vulcanising press for making moulds. I have mould cans of 9&11" diameter and 2 temperature controlled melt pots. To make the moulds I place an original (master/pattern) in between 2 silicone "rubbers" placed in a mould can, place the can in the preheated mould press and cure the silicone at about 29t pressure for 45 mins. The moulten lead is poured into the middle of the clamped spinning mould spun for about 60 secs. I then open the mould and have nice cast items. I can insert a blank or tube to form a holes. or could cast in metal eyes etc. It would also be possible to stamp in some kind of identity ("OO"?) if wanted. Does anyone fancy having anything made? I am not interested in trying to make anything out of this, but just floating the offer of a facility if wanted. Geoff.

5 hours ago, Geoff said:

I have never cast anything in lead. I do have a white metal casting facility (made hundreds of different items for my miniatures). I have thought about cast lead weights. I have 2 centrifugal casting machines and a vulcanising press for making moulds. I have mould cans of 9&11" diameter and 2 temperature controlled melt pots. To make the moulds I place an original (master/pattern) in between 2 silicone "rubbers" placed in a mould can, place the can in the preheated mould press and cure the silicone at about 29t pressure for 45 mins. The moulten lead is poured into the middle of the clamped spinning mould spun for about 60 secs. I then open the mould and have nice cast items. I can insert a blank or tube to form a holes. or could cast in metal eyes etc. It would also be possible to stamp in some kind of identity ("OO"?) if wanted. Does anyone fancy having anything made? I am not interested in trying to make anything out of this, but just floating the offer of a facility if wanted. Geoff.

Sounds really interesting Geoff, and a kind offer too 👌 good fun making stuff isn’t it?

cheers, Gary 😊

6 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

Sounds really interesting Geoff, and a kind offer too 👌 good fun making stuff isn’t it?

cheers, Gary 😊

It certainly is Gary. Designing, making, mending - it's all good fun. Sadly though, I have always said that I can make anything - except money!!! I am however extremely good at spending it as I am often reminded (daily) by Joyce. Geoff.🙂

9 hours ago, Geoff said:

It certainly is Gary. Designing, making, mending - it's all good fun. Sadly though, I have always said that I can make anything - except money!!! I am however extremely good at spending it as I am often reminded (daily) by Joyce. Geoff.🙂

Surely it’s the finishing of a project that is the most rewarding feeling of all?