Garmin homeport

Downloaded this earlier and spent hours typing in marks, put an sd card in the laptop and moved (hopefully) them on to the card

Just fired laptop up and couldn't open any of the files or Homeport

Keeps asking me to download an app to open them, which I did and still nothing opens

Have I just wasted a bastud evening

2 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Downloaded this earlier and spent hours typing in marks, put an sd card in the laptop and moved (hopefully) them on to the card

Keeps asking me to download an app to open them, which I did and still nothing opens

@GPSguru is your man for this question. 

1 hour ago, jonnyswamp said:

Something not right there ....................... what operating system is the laptop running ?

If you can open homeport then click on the 'my collection, folder in the top left hand pane and it should populate the lower left hand pane with the contents of that folder which will be your marks .............

However, if you have saved them onto an SD card then you can check that your work is still there ................ open the SD card in Explorer and you should find a file with the extension .adm ............ probably within the Garmin folder ..............

You should have this ...............

homeport.thumb.jpg.876b40316dce9d030800d1160ab54606.jpg

Edited by GPSguru

Windows 10 on laptop

Can find homeport in docs but wont open

Can find my collection as well, but when I click open, it just duplicates itself underneath and doesn't open

If I click on homeport in my favourites, I'm asked to download it again and when I do, I get the homeport screen with an option to close or ininstall

Nothing like your pic

5 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Windows 10 on laptop

Can find homeport in docs but wont open

Can find my collection as well, but when I click open, it just duplicates itself underneath and doesn't open

If I click on homeport in my favourites, I'm asked to download it again and when I do, I get the homeport screen with an option to close or ininstall

Nothing like your pic

Are you opening the Homeport installer each time instead of the Homeport .exe file itself?

7 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Are you opening the Homeport installer each time instead of the Homeport .exe file itself?

Christ knows

Uninstalled homeport, then reinstalled

Put my card out of the plotter into laptop (with homeport running) and have similar to GPS's screenshot, also showing all the marks I typed in last night

Will these marks automatically and magically now be on my card, or do I need to do something else

Looks like you were right Andy, what I'd saved to favourites was the download page, not the home page

Seems the homepage can only be saved in docs ?

EDIT

I've pinned homeport to the taskbar and hopefully moved my marks to my Garmin card (under devices on the top of the page) won't know until I go back to the boat and try it on the plotter

Edited by jonnyswamp

22 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Christ knows

Uninstalled homeport, then reinstalled

Put my card out of the plotter into laptop (with homeport running) and have similar to GPS's screenshot, also showing all the marks I typed in last night

Will these marks automatically and magically now be on my card, or do I need to do something else

I assume your plotter card has the charts on it which you download to it from the plotter. This also carries your device information for homeport to allow it to display the charts.

Your marks will be in the default my collection folder of homeport. You need to save these to the sd card into a new folder. ‘Marks’ is a good folder name. Your SD card will be under the device tab in the library pane.

if you then turn on your plotter and then plug in the SD card it will prompt you to manage your data. You then tell the plotter to either merge or overwrite you waypoints. It will then prompt you to select the folder with your marks in. 

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

I assume your plotter card has the charts on it which you download to it from the plotter. This also carries your device information for homeport to allow it to display the charts.

Your marks will be in the default my collection folder of homeport. You need to save these to the sd card into a new folder. ‘Marks’ is a good folder name. Your SD card will be under the device tab in the library pane.

if you then turn on your plotter and then plug in the SD card it will prompt you to manage your data. You then tell the plotter to either merge or overwrite you waypoints. It will then prompt you to select the folder with your marks in. 

Just been back to the boat with the card and all is good

Would I need to take the card out and bring it home if I want to add more marks, or can I copy it and use a spare so to speak

BTW thanks for your help 👍 

6 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

Would I need to take the card out and bring it home if I want to add more marks, or can I copy it and use a spare so to speak

Depends, on how you want to manage your data, but yes, you can create as many SD cards as you want ................

If you want to look at your charts on Homeport then you need to have them downloded form the plotter to a SD card, you can do that process onto as many SD cards as you like ............

I tend to download all my user data to the sd card at the end of each trip, and then analyse it on Homport ....................

My SD card is setup with a folder called Marks which is the master copy of all my waypoints (it is the same as 'my collection' on  Homeport), and another folder called 'transfer' to which all the waypoints and active tracks gets downloaded to at the end of each trip ............... using Homport you can also add some detail into your 'marks'  using the 'notes' tab which will also be available on the plotter. I store info about the wrecks, like length, width, height, orientation, and scour positions

It is always best to have a card in the plotter just in case you need to take a screen dump, just press 'Home' for 6 secs and it will dump the screen to the SD card (the plotter creates a folder called SCRN and the files are .BMP (bitmap) format ..............

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

Depends, on how you want to manage your data, but yes, you can create as many SD cards as you want ................

If you want to look at your charts on Homeport then you need to have them downloded form the plotter to a SD card, you can do that process onto as many SD cards as you like ............

I tend to download all my user data to the sd card at the end of each trip, and then analyse it on Homport ....................

My SD card is setup with a folder called Marks which is the master copy of all my waypoints (it is the same as 'my collection' on  Homeport), and another folder called 'transfer' to which all the waypoints and active tracks gets downloaded to at the end of each trip ............... using Homport you can also add some detail into your 'marks'  using the 'notes' tab which will also be available on the plotter. I store info about the wrecks, like length, width, height, orientation, and scour positions

It is always best to have a card in the plotter just in case you need to take a screen dump, just press 'Home' for 6 secs and it will dump the screen to the SD card (the plotter creates a folder called SCRN and the files are .BMP (bitmap) format ..............

Has your plotter got the built in maps, or are they on a card

3 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Has your plotter got the built in maps, or are they on a card

Mine are built in (95SV Plus x 2), but when I update them they will be on an SD card .................... if yours are on a card and you bought it from Gamin, them that download is available to you for 12 months, so it is possible for have more than one SD card with the charts on ..............

1 minute ago, GPSguru said:

Mine are built in (95SV Plus x 2), but when I update them they will be on an SD card .................... if yours are on a card and you bought it from Gamin, them that download is available to you for 12 months, so it is possible for have more than one SD card with the charts on ..............

I didn't buy the cards, they came with the boat, so would have to buy another (or just take the existing one home every time and that's just something else to leave at home along with my grub/bait)

It has a Garmin 5012, a 5022 and a newer 7410 xsv. I may upgrade the 2 older units, but don't like the price tag of similar sized new ones

3 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

I didn't buy the cards, they came with the boat, so would have to buy another (or just take the existing one home every time and that's just something else to leave at home along with my grub/bait)

It has a Garmin 5012, a 5022 and a newer 7410 xsv. I may upgrade the 2 older units, but don't like the price tag of similar sized new ones

Ah ok .................  you can make a backup copy of that card and use it on homeport .............. look here https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=sJFqKfbqTc6AKJ2raPlta6

6 minutes ago, headlight said:

The answer jonnyswamp is Simrad 👍

They are all much of a muchness Ian ............... I prefer Garmin solely because I like their GUI and the customer service has always been good for me ............ but yes, Simrad, Raymarine etc all do the same job with equal effect ................ I sometimes take out a Procharter (30ft) and that has a PC based system for the plotter / sonar, and to be fair it is extremely good with twin 22" widescreen monitors ...............

6 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Ah ok .................  you can make a backup copy of that card and use it on homeport .............. look here https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=sJFqKfbqTc6AKJ2raPlta6

Thanks for taking the time GPSguru, much appreciated

I have a house full watching I'm a jungle at the moment, so will look at the link tomorrow 👍