Teignmouth 10th dec

thejollysinker

Nice little report, bugger rowing a frosted tender out to the boat in the cold and dark. Fair play. 
Tip..... when you drop your photo, then click on the "actual size" link at the bottom and chose a slightly smaller file. 
As shown....

AF428674-839F-4013-A9A9-BC6FADA06EF7.jpeg.49a33733b07e37948c5cbd6514ea8d2f.jpeg

7 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

Set off from home at 05.50 after defrosting the car with my twin son Tom who’d made the trip down from Cheltenham arriving at 21.50 the previous evening so not much sleep for him.

River had some eerie mist in the dark so with waders adorned it was off to bail and retrieve the dinghy. I reckon it had upwards of 60 gallons in it with a slab of ice on top 😅

Loaded it up with a mountain of stuff as usual and rowed out to a frosty boat. New trim motor was performing faultlessly and it fired up first time, unexpectedly given the temperature. We were off before sunrise into an almost flat calm sea.

The sight of the sun rising behind the clouds was truly awesome. 
fishing commenced with feathery rigs and jigs, we also tried squid jigs over 3 different reefs and only managed two tiny grey gurnards.

Made a major mistake deviating from the original plan by not taking into account the wind forecast and ended up being blown off our chosen anchored spot. It was clear the whiting were about so Tom with baited feathers whipped a few up for himself whilst I persevered with huge baits for a conger but alas no joy 🥲 

the wind by now was creating white caps and it was decidedly uncomfortable so we hauled anchor and moved inshore for a couple of drifts with bait to no avail 🤷‍♂️

whilst out we saw no less than 5 trawlers and plenty of marked ground nets, the area being hammered as usual 🙄

we had one dogfish to make 3 species although we didn’t actually touch it as it spat the bait on the surface. I did touch the leader so it counts doesn’t it @JonC?

went in before dark in 2 ft of water, packed up and rowed back in the dark after a long and tiring day, back home in time for some family fun drinking eating and singing on the karaoke 😊

sorry no pics as yet. Cropped the ones I was gonna add but still too big 🤷‍♂️

It doesn’t really work like that with regards to touching the leader for you, it’s my rule that I use as and when it suits me. So no, the dogfish doesn’t count. But then that’s a good thing anyway. 🤣

7 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Nice little report, bugger rowing a frosted tender out to the boat in the cold and dark. Fair play. 
Tip..... when you drop your photo, then click on the "actual size" link at the bottom and chose a slightly smaller file. 
As shown....

AF428674-839F-4013-A9A9-BC6FADA06EF7.jpeg.49a33733b07e37948c5cbd6514ea8d2f.jpeg

thanks Neil, getting there 😅

21 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Good effort that man! Well dangled the pair of you.

That last photo looks lovely. Top snapping 👍

The last picture is very dramatic, almost arty. Gives @mike farrants and his lens filters a run for the money. 

please note there is no money so don’t start posting up randomly filtered photos because you won’t win anything. 

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Good effort that man! Well dangled the pair of you.

That last photo looks lovely. Top snapping 👍

cheers mate, just great to get out again despite the atrocious fishing and skippering....

that was my son Tom. It was 06.10 and very dark althought the photo makes it look much brighter.