How many fly fishers are there amongst us?

Andy135

So how many Outlaws also chuck the fluff? I bet there are a few of us that practise the noble art of stalking a trout or seducing a salmon.

I'd bet that @SiDfishmust be familiar with a Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear?

@Tadpole, a Spectra Shrimp?

I'd even speculate that @GPSguru is no stranger to a Greenwell's Glory??

Anyone else?

50 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

So how many Outlaws also chuck the fluff? I bet there are a few of us that practise the noble art of stalking a trout or seducing a salmon.

I'd bet that @SiDfishmust be familiar with a Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear?

@Tadpole, a Spectra Shrimp?

Anyone else?

If I can’t get out on the boat,I get on the fly, also had a few bass in summer  fly fishing of boat close in, hell of a strap on light fly gear 👍

24 minutes ago, Mark said:

If I can’t get out on the boat,I get on the fly, also had a few bass in summer  fly fishing of boat close in, hell of a strap on light fly gear 👍

Good work 👍. I've yet to have a bass on the fly but I bet they do go well.

1 minute ago, Mark said:

Yeah they go like stink,took me a while to get one,try anything fluorescent green seems to work for me👍

Just seen your other post about your boy's trout. Top fluff chucking that! 👍

2 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Nah Andy ............. fly fishing is something that has never appealed to me ....................and I have at least 2 Fly lakes right on my doorstep ...............

My fishing is pretty much just boat fishing in the UK, with maybe an estuary shore session probably once or twice a year ............

In France (we go there for 3 weeks at  time under more normal circumstance) I tend to fish the rivers, mainly for Carp, but you also get the enviable Catfish. I can assure that a near 50lb River common Carp really pulls your string ..................I reckon maybe another 12 months before I can do that again ................

7 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

I tend to fish the rivers, mainly for Carp, but you also get the enviable Catfish. I can assure that a near 50lb River common Carp really pulls your string ..................

Oh dear... sound the alarm chaps! We have another carp dangler in our midst!! @Saintly Fish, now's your chance to press the big red button 🤣👍.

3 minutes ago, iowspence said:

One last post on it @Andy135 it’s warming to see @Saintly Fishsquirm... 🤣

all it needed was him to press that like button on the previous post and then he was going to get an official invite too, but that was beneath him. He couldn’t bring himself to do it....

Now back to the fluff chucking.... 🙄

Anything that makes @Saintly Fish squirm gets my vote 🤣👍

29 minutes ago, iowspence said:

I am able to hold a grudge for years and years,

Not female really are you?

29 minutes ago, iowspence said:

rather than giving someone with low or no morales the opportunity to do something like that....

I know, you have to watch @Andy135 he has the lowest set of morals I've ever experienced. you'd be much safer with me. 

48 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Asks the man who measures masculinity in the quantity of soft furnishings bestowed on a boat........ 🤣

So unfair you lot are. I’m not the soft furnishings instigator. Can’t believe your all still chewing the bone. 
wtf is wrong with candy cane cushions anyway🤷🏻‍♂️

I fly fish a bit in freshwater for wild salmon and sea trout, never stocked trout fisheries.  In salt water the options are almost limitless.  One of the best is chasing bass, where you'll catch sea trout, mullet and various flatties as well.  When I was in Hampshire we called mullet Solent Bonefish, they fight better than most other fish.  If you've got mackerel close to the boat a lightweight fly rod will give endless entertainment.  Out on the rocks a sinking line and crab/prawn fly will catch lots of species including wrasse and pollack.  Pollack can be a real handful on a fly rod, had a nine pounder last summer that smashed an eight weight rod!  The great thing is, that like lure fishing, there's bugger all to carry.  As for effectiveness, one of the commercial bass fishermen in The Solent used to fish with rod and fly quite often, keeping his nets out of the water!

51 minutes ago, SiDfish said:

I fly fish a bit in freshwater for wild salmon and sea trout, never stocked trout fisheries.  In salt water the options are almost limitless.  One of the best is chasing bass, where you'll catch sea trout, mullet and various flatties as well.  When I was in Hampshire we called mullet Solent Bonefish, they fight better than most other fish.  If you've got mackerel close to the boat a lightweight fly rod will give endless entertainment.  Out on the rocks a sinking line and crab/prawn fly will catch lots of species including wrasse and pollack.  Pollack can be a real handful on a fly rod, had a nine pounder last summer that smashed an eight weight rod!  The great thing is, that like lure fishing, there's bugger all to carry.  As for effectiveness, one of the commercial bass fishermen in The Solent used to fish with rod and fly quite often, keeping his nets out of the water!

Quality post! 👍

15 hours ago, iowspence said:

I do indeed @GPSguru I was out for a couple of nights last week. 😊🎣

5017E53D-8E12-45B4-9AD3-6EBC9EC694AE.jpeg

That looks a nice setup Spence ................

In France, in most places, 4 rods are allowed ...................... I use 4 x Century NG SU with 60mm butt rings, all matched with Shimano Ultregra 5500 XSB's with bait runner spools, Delkim TXi Plus alarms with LED bobbins, and a full stainless rod Pod ..............................also in France on the rivers, you are not allowed to night fish from the shore (you are allowed one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise), it is actively policed, but there are ways around it by using a punt anchored less than a metre off the bank !, although that is frowned upon ..............

Didn't give any ideas on flies earlier.  For mullet try casting in front of them and either twitching a sinking size 8 or 10 fluoro orange shrimp across the bottom (puffs of sand/mud) or strip a white size 14 muddler minnow across the surface and hold on!  For bass I use either a fish pattern streamer, usually a mini mackerel (3") or sandeel imitation (1 or 1/0), otherwise what I call a guzonker, a trout fishing style zonker (rabbit fur strip) with the head end whipped into an upward flap gurgler (check zonker and gurgler flies to get the jist) size 1.  I made these originally whilst using zonker strip for streamers and then seeing gurgler flies online.  These can be stripped, chugged, or twitched with equal effect. Try varnishing the upward gurgler piece of skin.  UV crystal flash used, sparingly, in most flies and feathers seems to make a difference.  For pollack you want full on 'dead budgie' mode.  Big rippling, pulsing and slow flies seem to get their boat!  With all flies use good quality hooks (I like Partridge saltwater) as you need a razor point, often hidden in dressing.

22 minutes ago, SiDfish said:

Didn't give any ideas on flies earlier.  For mullet try casting in front of them and either twitching a sinking size 8 or 10 fluoro orange shrimp across the bottom (puffs of sand/mud) or strip a white size 14 muddler minnow across the surface and hold on!  For bass I use either a fish pattern streamer, usually a mini mackerel (3") or sandeel imitation (1 or 1/0), otherwise what I call a guzonker, a trout fishing style zonker (rabbit fur strip) with the head end whipped into an upward flap gurgler (check zonker and gurgler flies to get the jist) size 1.  I made these originally whilst using zonker strip for streamers and then seeing gurgler flies online.  These can be stripped, chugged, or twitched with equal effect. Try varnishing the upward gurgler piece of skin.  UV crystal flash used, sparingly, in most flies and feathers seems to make a difference.  For pollack you want full on 'dead budgie' mode.  Big rippling, pulsing and slow flies seem to get their boat!  With all flies use good quality hooks (I like Partridge saltwater) as you need a razor point, often hidden in dressing.

Any chance you can re type that lot in queens English ?