Antifouling the outboard lower unit skeg area

Hi all,

The lower unit on my Suzuki outboard has a section (skeg) that does not clear the water when tilted up fully.

The skeg is currently antifouled as is the pump assembly and bracket but the antifouling does not appear to be working as well as the hull antifouling (International Micron 300)

The international Micron 300 on the hull is in perfect condition so can I use it on the section of the lower leg, pump and bracket etc?

Also the white Motor Mounting pad on the transom also fouls up badly so can I antifoul this as well? 

Can I use Micron 300 on the transducer?

Any Advice would be appreciated.

If there's clearance in the outboard well, you can adjust how far the engine tilts. I adjusted my Suzuki so it clears the water when fully tilted.

You must use an antifoul that is compatible with aluminium on the outboard. I do my outboard bracket with Trilux

I use this on the transducer https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Marlin/Eco-Transducer-Antifouling/BR7

3 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Can I use Micron 300 on the transducer?

A contentious one for some this subject. I've always antifoul Ed my transducers, I started with the same Eco stuff that @MegaBytelisted, but found it totally useless. Now I use the same AF as I put on the hull. Ive never had an issue with it effecting the plastics. I do use primer first. 
I suppose you need to look at the ingredients of your choice of paint.

2 hours ago, Gordmac said:

I believe a lot of antifouls aren't suitable for aluminium due to copper in them.

Shouldn't matter, most alloys have copper in them anyway. There is an awful lot of aluminium alloy out there that is chrome plated which involves a copper coating first.....

2 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback.

I’ve contacted International’s technical team for advice and will post any advice I receive.

Tight lines

Mikey B

Are you saying that our technical advice team isn’t up to standard?🤣

22 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Shouldn't matter, most alloys have copper in them anyway. There is an awful lot of aluminium alloy out there that is chrome plated which involves a copper coating first.....

But not submersed in sea water.

Hi Guy's

Following on from my request for advice please see below.

Subject: RE: Anti fouling plastic transducers

HI Michael

Thank you for your email.
It's  not recommended to use conventional antifouling on plastic transducers as the solvents will attack the plastic housing. There are other products in the market that are silicone or water based specifically made for use on transducers but not in our range.

Kind regards

John

Not sure if this applies to all antifouling but to be on the safe side I'll use one recommended for use on transducers.

Tight lines

31 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

Hi Guy's

Following on from my request for advice please see below.

Subject: RE: Anti fouling plastic transducers

HI Michael

Thank you for your email.
It's  not recommended to use conventional antifouling on plastic transducers as the solvents will attack the plastic housing. There are other products in the market that are silicone or water based specifically made for use on transducers but not in our range.

Kind regards

John

Not sure if this applies to all antifouling but to be on the safe side I'll use one recommended for use on transducers.

Tight lines

Anti fouls these days are so diluted of aggressive chemicals due to environmental policies. I've been painting mine with normal antifoul for years with no issues. The eco stuff just does not work. You'll use it for a season, then be cheesed off because of the expense and the fact that you may as well not bother. Then you'll use normal AF and wish you'd done it sooner!!

55 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

But it does contain copper, that's my point..... And, yes, plenty of chrome plated stuff sees salt water.....

Your choice.

Put anluminium and copper in seawater, the aluminium becomes sacrificial.

Aluminum is very susceptible to galvanic corrosion in contact with copper, with an electrolyte like water with some ionic content.

Edited by MegaByte

Aluminium contains copper, but not as a separate material, when it's a separate material there's a potential difference and hence galvanic corrosion.

I should have spoken to you 50 years ago, before I started work for the Admiralty Materials Laboratory, which later became Defence Evaluation and Research Agency. We could have saved Millions of pounds.

Edited by MegaByte

6 hours ago, MegaByte said:

Aluminium contains copper, but not as a separate material, when it's a separate material there's a potential difference and hence galvanic corrosion.

I should have spoken to you 50 years ago, before I started work for the Admiralty Materials Laboratory, which later became Defence Evaluation and Research Agency. We could have saved Millions of pounds.

likewise, we could have saved hundreds of thousands not painting everything in chromatic paint......

So if you know your metallurgy, you will know what happens regards copper in aluminium

5 minutes ago, MegaByte said:

It increases the strength and reduces corrosion resistance.

5 minutes ago, MegaByte said:

It increases the strength and reduces corrosion resistance.

Are you two still bickering over this? 

Aluminium-copper alloys (AlCu) are aluminum alloys that consist largely of aluminum (Al) and traces of copper (Cu) as the main alloying elements. Important grades also contain additives of magnesium and silicon (AlCu(Mg,Si)), often manganese is also included to increase strength (see Aluminum-manganese alloy [de]). The main area of application is aircraft construction. The alloys have medium to high strength and can be age-hardened. They are both wrought alloy [de]. Also available as cast alloy. Their susceptibility to corrosion and their poor weldability are disadvantageous.

As I said.

I’m out, as I’m fed up banging my head against a brick wall.