Simrad/Lowrance App?

Anyone use it at all? 

I recently bit the bullet and downloaded the navionkcs app…. It’s awesome 😎 Kind of feeling stupid for not doing it sooner….

Seems that I can plan routes on it and upload to my plotter…. Whixh is cool. It seems I can control my plotter from phone too…. But just wondering if it’s worth using the app? Anyone use phones tablets for this kind of thing? 🤔

24 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Anyone use it at all? 

I recently bit the bullet and downloaded the navionkcs app…. It’s awesome 😎 Kind of feeling stupid for not doing it sooner….

Seems that I can plan routes on it and upload to my plotter…. Whixh is cool. It seems I can control my plotter from phone too…. But just wondering if it’s worth using the app? Anyone use phones tablets for this kind of thing? 🤔

Yes, but I use Garmin 'Active Captain', which also allows me to update /change the charts, and update the software on my plotters.

Using the relief shading on your phone, it is sometimes just good to 'mark' a location and send it to the plotter (Wifi) as a waypoint with a 'goto' command

I use navionics on phone and a tablet. 

to search out ground, plot all my fishy hotspots, measure my speed accurately etc

but its most useful for checking the anchor is holding!

i also us it to position myself on chesil beach exactly where the fish arent...... 

5 hours ago, mike farrants said:

I use navionics on phone and a tablet. 

to search out ground, plot all my fishy hotspots, measure my speed accurately etc

but its most useful for checking the anchor is holding!

i also us it to position myself on chesil beach exactly where the fish arent...... 

Speed accuracy? 

5 hours ago, JonC said:

Speed accuracy? 

I tried my Navionics on my phone alongside my Garmin gps in my car alongside my calibrated scan gauge and found it to be spot on, no issues with update time in cruise at 100kh. Only issue I have is that I head offshore out of phone range, so obviously no use then but I also have the card versions for both Garmin and simrad (need to sell the simrad now I don't have the head unit).

22 hours ago, JDP said:

I tried my Navionics on my phone alongside my Garmin gps in my car alongside my calibrated scan gauge and found it to be spot on, no issues with update time in cruise at 100kh. Only issue I have is that I head offshore out of phone range, so obviously no use then but I also have the card versions for both Garmin and simrad (need to sell the simrad now I don't have the head unit).

I had my navionics on when flying back from Lanzarote Friday night (GPS) and it showed 590 knts at one point, pilot said we were doing 76% of the speed of sound

2023-03-14_08-21-24

One of our instruments were lying, I wonder which one ?

10 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

I had my navionics on when flying back from Lanzarote Friday night (GPS) and it showed 590 knts at one point, pilot said we were doing 76% of the speed of sound

2023-03-14_08-21-24

Or you were going soooo fast the satellite couldn't keep up?

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2023 at 8:24 PM, jonnyswamp said:

2023-03-14_08-21-24

The app is designed for marine applications, so I guess the error is a mix of the time interval of requested info from your phone sat receiver, and how it interprets the information.

The app is probably thinking ‘fuck, this is a fast boat’ !