lever drags

What is the general opinion on lever drag reels. ive not owned but but am considering it as i fully inted to catch a decent tope before i die (hopefully much sooner like this year) i have a pair of original abu 7000's, penn 525 mags and penn fathoms so di really need one ?. a friend of mine services  and repairs reels and he doesnt have a good opinion of them unless a lot of money is spent.  i was looking at the penn 15 fathom lever drags and shimano speed master.  or should i buy another rod ? 

TIA 

Personally I love lever drags. So quick & simple to adjust the drag on the fly. All you need to remember with lever drags is not to adjust the pre-load when the lever is engaged. Pre-load adjustment should only be done with the reel out of gear, or it can crush the bearings, which is probably why some people don't rate LD's or think they're fragile. They're not - it's usually user error that causes problems. Avet reels are my favourite, but there are of course other brands available.

For balance, I also use star drags and would have no problem using them for tope either. I rate the Penn Fathoms so if you already have some of these I'd say you probably don't need a LD, but take a look at the Avets and you may decide you want one 😉

Thanks for the reply Andy. To get a lever drag into free spool do you just reduce the drag ? and does this allow casting and letting out line for uptiding etc ?

i think its definately a case of want rather than need, but can you have enough reels ? i will have a look at the Avets. 

@Herbs73 I think it depends on what type of fishing you do as to whether you need lever drag or not. I fish with both lever and star, I don't really see too much advantage to a lever if I'm honest. A star drag is just as easy to adjust, very rarely do you need to lock up a reel with the lever. 
@Andy135 likes them because of the fight some of his bullhuss give! But for most normal fishing (tope included) a decent make of star drag is fine. 

26 minutes ago, Herbs73 said:

To get a lever drag into free spool do you just reduce the drag ? and does this allow casting and letting out line for uptiding etc ?

Yes, that's exactly right. Move the lever all the way back towards you - there's usually a notch you can feel that indicates when the reel is in free spool.

I’ve been using a Fin Nor Marques12 which is lever drag for my fishing over the last year, nearly all boat casting and it is very good to use.
Mick who I often fish with has now bought 4 of those penn fathoms replacing 7000s as he likes them so much. 

53 minutes ago, Herbs73 said:

So we fish in the same area Jon, do you find you can use the reel for all the types of fishing you do ? 

I don’t think there’s any disadvantage to using a lever drag, they cast just the same as a star and you get more control. 

Are you fishing in the Brightlingsea comp this year? I’m planning to and hopefully getting a guest appearance on board from @Andy135if he can’t think of a decent excuse before it happens. 

oh yeah and I’m not so sure about you fishing in my areas, they are reserved 🤣🤣

1 minute ago, JonC said:

Are you fishing in the Brightlingsea comp this year? I’m planning to and hopefully getting a guest appearance on board from @Andy135if he can’t think of a decent excuse before it happens. 

I'll be there... unless you can think of a decent reason to uninvite me... 😱

6 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I'll be there... unless you can think of a decent reason to uninvite me... 😱

I’m sure there’s plenty of time for your friends cat to announce that it’s getting married to @mike farrants’s dog or something. 

Lever drags are great for when you want to vary the drag…. I use them a lot for sharking etc. I also use them for light lure work when a pollack etc can hit the lure hard. 

For my general uptiding I use a star drag. Works fine, easy to use…. If you don’t want to fine tune the drag don’t use a lever drag, just use a star drag and save your £££ 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...

In this part of the world, tope fishing is done with just enough drag to hold against the tide so the fish can run, the up the drag gradually until you stop it..... Far easier with a lever drag, at least for me. I use charter specials and have no complaints.

Far easier for fishing running type fish but not strictly necessary. I use my charter specials for all my fishing round here , including uptiding and downtiding

On 3/7/2023 at 3:10 PM, JonC said:

Mick who I often fish with has now bought 4 of those penn fathoms replacing 7000s as he likes them so much. 

Single speed or 2 speed ?

TBH, I don't rate the Penn reels when compared to a Fin-nor. Penn reels always seem just a bit clunky, and most have bearing issues within 12 months of use.

On all my Fin nor reels (mostly 12's, but also 2 x 16's and 2 x 2011) I remove the secondary anti slip pawl and also the brake sleeves. The 2011's are set to 40Lb Max drag (20lb Strike) and the sprag bearing (one way bearing) has never slipped.

7 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Single speed or 2 speed ?

TBH, I don't rate the Penn reels when compared to a Fin-nor. Penn reels always seem just a bit clunky, and most have bearing issues within 12 months of use.

On all my Fin nor reels (mostly 12's, but also 2 x 16's and 2 x 2011) I remove the secondary anti slip pawl and also the brake sleeves. The 2011's are set to 40Lb Max drag (20lb Strike) and the sprag bearing (one way bearing) has never slipped.

I've been using penn reels for years in different forms. Apart from the cheapest Squall or the FS surf blaster (which I've never owned but seen) they have been faultless. I've only ever serviced them once and they are as smooth as the day I purchased them. 

41 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I've been using penn reels for years in different forms. Apart from the cheapest Squall or the FS surf blaster (which I've never owned but seen) they have been faultless. I've only ever serviced them once and they are as smooth as the day I purchased them. 

I bought one of the cheaper penn multipliers as a combo for a visitor rod a few years ago. It was pants and didn’t last a year. My two old 535s dough have been very good with minimal maintenance. 
On the subject of lever drags I might bust out my old TLD20 for the Poole trip next week, poor thing hasn’t got out of the shed for 10 years. Perfect for trying to drag the wreck to the surface. 

It ain't a lever drag but I trialled one of these when Tope fishing last year - found it to be very 'useable' when married with my Daiwa Super Kenzaki (7'6"Fixed Spool rod) - in fact I think I prefer it to my Shimano Charter Special setup - better/finer control of the amount of resistance applied when in free spool - found it really good and easy to set when drifting over smooth ground

Baitrunner-Oceanic_1250x1250px_V1.jpg

51 minutes ago, lezz said:

It ain't a lever drag but I trialled one of these when Tope fishing last year - found it to be very 'useable' when married with my Daiwa Super Kenzaki (7'6"Fixed Spool rod) - in fact I think I prefer it to my Shimano Charter Special setup - better/finer control of the amount of resistance applied when in free spool - found it really good and easy to set when drifting over smooth ground

You cannot beat a good fs shimano!!

43 minutes ago, JonC said:

Did you throw one of those in the river last year, or was that the one you threw in the year before? 

That was a 3500 a couple of years ago. 
Last year was a bait runner multi and a £300 rod. Anyway that was the joy not me! 

4 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

That was a 3500 a couple of years ago. 
Last year was a bait runner multi and a £300 rod. Anyway that was the joy not me! 

Oh. Would have been even more annoying if you snapped your favourite rod . 

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

Only ever snapped one rod when in Norway. You snapped a fav have yew?

I’ve lost a top section of a rod casting when over refreshed. 
That was a nice rod, shimano stradic surf☹️

4 hours ago, lezz said:

That is really a Carp Reel, does it also make the coffee that it grinds ?