Fin nor MA 12 tear down.

Sorry, bit of a niche one here but there seems to be nothing on the interweb about the subject. 
One or my MA12s got a bit soaked recently and I’d never stripped it and cleaned it out. After giving it a good clean and oiling the bearings I reassembled it and it’s running well but it’s making a bit of noise, not terrible but more than my other one.

Four or get bearings are easy to get to but there seems to be two that I can’t get at, requiring the lever drag arm to be removed. There is an end cap with two small holes but I can’t get it to move.

4355B306-2811-4101-95E1-1E385A91AD66.thumb.jpeg.1b2cc50f070c6fd8f9654a30a1560c56.jpegI think that there’s a retaining screw that needs removing. This will hopefully allow me to remove the pinion assemblyA18AB978-9436-44BC-97BD-58A76006568E.thumb.jpeg.fd28a55fa697042fe0db2c6b811a1e3a.jpegAny ideas? @GPSguru I’m looking at you.

33 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Easy enough, it's not feck'in rocket science 🙄

But there could be a 'twist in the tale' 😉

Fin-Nor Marquesa ma12.pdf 147.22 kB · 0 downloads

I’ve got the schematic thanks, just not sure how the pre set cap (20) comes off. Putting two pins in, (like  an angle grinder key ) seems the way but I don’t want to kill it so I thought I’d ask first. 

3 hours ago, JonC said:

I’ve got the schematic thanks, just not sure how the pre set cap (20) comes off. Putting two pins in, (like  an angle grinder key ) seems the way but I don’t want to kill it so I thought I’d ask first. 

OK, the cap is held in with a blue thread locking compound which makes it feck'in tight to remove.

You need to warm it up with a hair dryer and then grip the outside whilst undoing the cap. If you don't grip the outside, then it will shear the tiny retaining screw (which is the way some people remove them), but then you have the hassle of removing the broken threaded screw from inside the shaft. Or you could fit it back without the retaining screw, as the tension adjuster is held well enough in place by a tiny pawl and spring.

After heating, I used mole grips (with a protector rag) to hold the outside of the pretensioner, and the inserted the pins of circlip pliers into the holes and turned it using a screwdriver wedged against the circlip pliers jaws. It is extremely tight as the thread lock really hangs on.

It wasn't my reel, but a friend had asked me to look at it as the pretensioner had become unscrewed ! .......... he had of course broken the tiny retaining screw, which I had to drill out and re-tap the spool spindle thread. Bast'id of a job. Probably an easier answer would have been to replace the spool spindle. Felindre keep a few Fin-nor parts, the pretensioner and cap is £25, the retaining screw and washer is £2 ish.

BTW: IIRC the tiny retaining screw is left hand thread.

If you take the drag apart, make sure you get the 4 belleville washers the right way round, like (()), otherwise you won't have freespool.

If it has been in the drink, then it will be a good idea to regrease the carbon drag washer with Cal's drag grease.

This might be useful .......... https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1700.0

Edited by GPSguru

5 hours ago, GPSguru said:

OK, the cap is held in with a blue thread locking compound which makes it feck'in tight to remove.

You need to warm it up with a hair dryer and then grip the outside whilst undoing the cap. If you don't grip the outside, then it will shear the tiny retaining screw (which is the way some people remove them), but then you have the hassle of removing the broken threaded screw from inside the shaft. Or you could fit it back without the retaining screw, as the tension adjuster is held well enough in place by a tiny pawl and spring.

After heating, I used mole grips (with a protector rag) to hold the outside of the pretensioner, and the inserted the pins of circlip pliers into the holes and turned it using a screwdriver wedged against the circlip pliers jaws. It is extremely tight as the thread lock really hangs on.

It wasn't my reel, but a friend had asked me to look at it as the pretensioner had become unscrewed ! .......... he had of course broken the tiny retaining screw, which I had to drill out and re-tap the spool spindle thread. Bast'id of a job. Probably an easier answer would have been to replace the spool spindle. Felindre keep a few Fin-nor parts, the pretensioner and cap is £25, the retaining screw and washer is £2 ish.

BTW: IIRC the tiny retaining screw is left hand thread.

If you take the drag apart, make sure you get the 4 belleville washers the right way round, like (()), otherwise you won't have freespool.

If it has been in the drink, then it will be a good idea to regrease the carbon drag washer with Cal's drag grease.

This might be useful .......... https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1700.0

Thanks, all makes sense but I hadn’t considered warming it up. I usually stop and take stock at the mole grips stage as that’s when things start going badly. 
Next time I strip it I’ll do this, at the moment the reel is running fine just a very slight noise. When I hold the reel with the gearbox end up the handle happily rotates with a little shake so no major friction. It didn’t go in the drink, just spray from the sea and a bit from the deck wash.  

7 hours ago, JonC said:

Thanks, all makes sense but I hadn’t considered warming it up. I usually stop and take stock at the mole grips stage as that’s when things start going badly. 
Next time I strip it I’ll do this, at the moment the reel is running fine just a very slight noise. When I hold the reel with the gearbox end up the handle happily rotates with a little shake so no major friction. It didn’t go in the drink, just spray from the sea and a bit from the deck wash.  

Sounds ok the leave and see what happens.

Mine travel in rod holders on the stern, so get sea spray quite often, but I rinse them after every trip.

The Marquesa must be a reasonably trouble free reel, as it has been about for a good few years, but there is very little internet info showing strip downs and issues.

4 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Sounds ok the leave and see what happens.

Mine travel in rod holders on the stern, so get sea spray quite often, but I rinse them after every trip.

The Marquesa must be a reasonably trouble free reel, as it has been about for a good few years, but there is very little internet info showing strip downs and issues.

Yeah it’s fine but the noise is a bit irritating. I put a few drops of oil in so hopefully it will work its way down. The schematic is simple enough it’s just that one end cap that os a bit odd. 

18 minutes ago, JonC said:

Yeah it’s fine but the noise is a bit irritating. I put a few drops of oil in so hopefully it will work its way down. The schematic is simple enough it’s just that one end cap that os a bit odd. 

Yes, the end cap could be an issue, but once you have done it, it makes sort of sense.

IIRC the tiny lefty retaining screw is also thread locked, but moves with a steady pressure and a little lefty / righty the loosen the compound once it begins to move.

1 hour ago, JonC said:

I do hope yore not bringing this real to Poole? I don't think @Andy135 or @suzook12will either be able to stand the irritation of the noise!! 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

I do hope yore not bringing this real to Poole? I don't think @Andy135 or @suzook12will either be able to stand the irritation of the noise!! 

It’s only a very slight noise which will certainly be drowned out by the sound of you ad Ginge cracking leads off and bickering over who tangled hoo, 

9 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Good on him. Be nice to see you both again. 👍🏻

what's your eta Saturday?

Bout 5ish, leisurely drive down leaving after midday.

Yeah will be good to meet up again and meet the others as well, tho I will heed the warnings I've been given about the dogger fish fanatic

🤣

31 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Bout 5ish, leisurely drive down leaving after midday.

Yeah will be good to meet up again and meet the others as well, tho I will heed the warnings I've been given about the dogger fish fanatic

🤣

Very wise !!