Lugworm Spades.

Andy

Hi,

Just joined this forum.

Just come back to angling after a ten year break. Used to use a lug spade and it was very effective. Looks like nearly everyone has converted to pumps. Unfortunately I can't get on with them. Anyone know where i can still get hold of a lug spade?

Welcome back to fishing. 
I recon you’re asking the wrong bunch on here about spades, there are plenty of tools on here but I think we’re all far too lazy to dig our own bait, although I understand it gets you the best and freshest worm available. I’ve been left disappointed and a bit mugged off a few times recently after paying a lot of money for poor quality worm.  

What makes a good worm spade? I’ve heard of people using potato forks before, isn’t a regular graft any good? 

2 hours ago, Andy said:

Hi,

Just joined this forum.

Just come back to angling after a ten year break. Used to use a lug spade and it was very effective. Looks like nearly everyone has converted to pumps. Unfortunately I can't get on with them. Anyone know where i can still get hold of a lug spade?

TBH a pump is a zillion times easier.

Make you own from 22mm copper pipe a few fittings and mould a washer seal from silicon. You can make it quite long so it is comfortable to use. 

However, the best spade I have used is a narrow blade Stainless, but digging is way too much work.

Edited by GPSguru

54 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

TBH a pump is a zillion times easier.

Make you own from 22mm copper pipe a few fittings and mould a washer seal from silicon. You can make it quite long so it is comfortable to use. 

However, the best spade I have used is a narrow blade Stainless, but digging is way too much work.

Pumps only work in sand though I thought? 

I remember seeing short homemade stainless spades with a narrow short blade whereby one kneels and takes out small spits of sand following the ‘black’ lug burrow down quickly until you get the worm.

no good for blow lug and back breaking work…. As others have said, get a pump, got to be easier 🤔

I just can't get on with a pump. Its bloody frustrating 🙂

Back in the day I used to dig for shops  in the south east. Haven't lost the fitness, so happy to stay old school. Just need to find a spade.

Maybe i just need to think about making my own. Basically cut it down so its about six inches wide and eight inches long, and make sure the shaft is straight. (All sounds a bit double entendre 🙂

Welcome aboard

This area generally use a flat tined fork, and a narrow one as you can find. Depends is you're chasing one worm or many. Working with a local bait digger, that was the weapon of choice

38 minutes ago, Andy said:

All sounds a bit double entendre 🙂

You'll fit right in here then!! 
Welcome. 
Sorry I can't help with your spade, as I'm a lazy arse and buy my worm or just use fish baits instead! Worms = juice on my cushions. 

2 hours ago, GPSguru said:

You only get blowlug in sand, dunno about blacks, we don't get them here 😉😇

I don’t think anyone uses pumps in the Thames area as even the sand has larger particles in it that damage the pump. 

Looks like you've already met the biggest tool in the shed, he normally sits in the corner next to the scaffold couplers🤠

The pumps do take a bit of getting used, another Aussie invention to make life easier than digging. They work best if you work for worms very close to the waters edge in the wetter sand and pull the handle as you push into the sand.

Before I had a a pump I used a plain garden fork which was easy enough once you got a hole started.

Welcome Andy. I'm another who buys their bait. But I live miles from the sea, so a drive just to dig bait doesn't stack up economically, what with the cost of fuel these days.

Kudos for putting in the effort though. 👍

21 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Funny ‘ole world.

It doesnt seem right to talk about Blacks and spades, but hey, it is absolutely cosha on a fishing bait chat 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍

You're sailing a bit close to the wind there 😱🤣