Saturday 8th April - Lulworth and Weymouth Bay

mike farrants

I have previous with TBR spines and jaws so I won't be doing it that way. It is just because we are in a competition in June and ID is crucial, most online say about the second dorsal and also the lower tail lobe and dentistry will only be looked at from a safety POV.

This is based on length or width as the species are just tope, huss, smoothie, TBR (hence width) and surprisingly, mackerel and the prizes are pretty substantial circa £1000 for tope iirc as well as rods and reels etc so ID could be critical 

6 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Did you nick those trousers off the shelf at the local branch?

You mean those ones with the flappy pockets on? Those pockets always struck me as being useful for plumbers to stuff wads of cash into from little old ladies' pensions.

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

You mean those ones with the flappy pockets on? Those pockets always struck me as being useful for plumbers to stuff wads of cash into from little old ladies' pensions.

Quite right too! They don't need it, so somebody should make use of it on their behalf!

1 hour ago, mike farrants said:

ahh for our species comp they usually just want a pic of the mouth if unsure - if the hound happens to be 'starry' - thats an easier ID of them.

There is still a huge debate that smoothounds and starry’s are actually the same specie, just different markings. 

Most of mine are Starry’s, but we only get smaller fish here (15lb tops), usually high single to low double.

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Did you nick those trousers off the shelf at the local branch?

don't you know it - all my fishing gear is now Dewalt - every sample sale i bag up - clima-cool T shirts, trousers, shorts, fleeces, hoodies - i have so many pockets i dont know which one has my scotch egg in it half the time!

i do wear the OO gear too though!  

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

There is still a huge debate that smoothounds and starry’s are actually the same specie, just different markings. 

Most of mine are Starry’s, but we only get smaller fish here (15lb tops), usually high single to low double.

sorry i meant its easier to tell the difference between a tope and smoothie if said smoothy is of a starry persuasion....

11 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

don't you know it - all my fishing gear is now Dewalt - every sample sale i bag up - clima-cool T shirts, trousers, shorts, fleeces, hoodies - i have so many pockets i dont know which one has my scotch egg in it half the time!

i do wear the OO gear too though!  

Don't mention scotch eggs, @JonC will have a melt down!!!!

36 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

i bloody love a scotch egg - Sainsburys taste the difference ftw

I spent £30 on Chorizo scotch eggs and some bad boy pork pies from my local farm shop/deli for everyone on the Poole trip a couple of weeks ago but some fucker burst an ice pack that was in the carrier bag. Fortunately the trays of forrero roche were unspoiled. 

1 hour ago, mike farrants said:

i bloody love a scotch egg - Sainsburys taste the difference ftw

Yeah, they are good. I'm a scotch egg fan too. Although there's a vicious rumour started by some kids we know that scotch eggs are actually made of ginger people's testicles... 🤢

11 minutes ago, JonC said:

I spent £30 on Chorizo scotch eggs and some bad boy pork pies from my local farm shop/deli for everyone on the Poole trip a couple of weeks ago but some fucker burst an ice pack that was in the carrier bag. Fortunately the trays of forrero roche were unspoiled. 

heartbreaking

17 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Yeah, they are good. I'm a scotch egg fan too. Although there's a viscious rumour started by some kids we know that scotch eggs are actually made of ginger people's testicles... 🤢

Best you stand over a mirror and clarify!! 🤣