Annoying Garmin (or stupid me more like)

Ok, so being a technical dullard, my chart subscription has run out. I've renewed no problem, bought a new SD card to put the info on. Ive down loaded the new charts to my active captain app and transferred the data (I think), but I've now lost all my fishing marks and relief shading from the app and plotter. Marks are not really an issue as I know where they are physically. But not having the relief shading is pissing me off. I'm sure this happened last year but I can't remember what I had to do to sort the issue. Any ideas?? 
Im fed up sat here for an hour trying to work through the settings and getting nowhere. 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Ok, so being a technical dullard, my chart subscription has run out. I've renewed no problem, bought a new SD card to put the info on. Ive down loaded the new charts to my active captain app and transferred the data (I think), but I've now lost all my fishing marks and relief shading from the app and plotter. Marks are not really an issue as I know where they are physically. But not having the relief shading is pissing me off. I'm sure this happened last year but I can't remember what I had to do to sort the issue. Any ideas?? 
Im fed up sat here for an hour trying to work through the settings and getting nowhere. 

Well, we need to start from the beginning.

Have you downloaded the correct chart with relief shading ? There are 2 versions of the charts, one with and one without.

Does the shading show ok when using the active captain app ? If not then enable that layer using the control in the top right hand corner.

Lowrance vs Garmin ? ….. Garmin kit is generally better made, more reliable, and more intuitive to use 👍

Relief shading only works when transferred via active captain. Only a chart can be transferred using Garmin Express.

when it did the cart transfer to the active captain card, the active captain app should have downloaded the chart from garmin, then validated the download, then transferred the chart to the plotter card, then validated the transferred data, so 4 steps that seem to take forever !

once transferred, you need to reboot your plotter, by turning off. Sometimes you also need to remove the card, and then reinsert as  the plotters seem to forget it is there.

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

Well, we need to start from the beginning.

Have you downloaded the correct chart with relief shading ? There are 2 versions of the charts, one with and one without.

Does the shading show ok when using the active captain app ? If not then enable that layer using the control in the top right hand corner.

Lowrance vs Garmin ? ….. Garmin kit is generally better made, more reliable, and more intuitive to use 👍

The relief shading does not show on the layers options. IMG_2909.jpeg.73a233ecd22accd5ae088090ee3d91ca.jpeg

3 hours ago, GPSguru said:

I was only messing, I have no problems with my lowrance elite 5 combo even though it's about 8 years old it does more than I require of it. I just need to paddle out to marks and get an idea of the bottom structure, relief shading and side scan are more than I need 

38 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

IMG_2915.thumb.jpeg.afa06af4b56c85e503793deef76bd5a1.jpeg

When you did the download to active captain, did you try to dowload the whole chart, or did you set the adjustable download area, the the area that you normally operate in (i.e. solent, isle of wight etc) ?

5 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Well, we've had threads here previously on why Garmin maps are not downloading or how to update them etc. I think mostly from @Saintly Fish to be fair so it could just be user fuckwittery but we haven't had any similar threads for Lowrance, because Lowrance software usually just works.

17 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Well, we've had threads here previously on why Garmin maps are not downloading or how to update them etc. I think mostly from @Saintly Fish to be fair so it could just be user fuckwittery but we haven't had any similar threads for Lowrance, because Lowrance software usually ONLY just works

Fixed that for yer 😉😇👍

2 hours ago, GPSguru said:

When you did the download to active captain, did you try to dowload the whole chart, or did you set the adjustable download area, the the area that you normally operate in (i.e. solent, isle of wight etc) ?

Yes, I just selected my area and channel isles

2 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Well, we've had threads here previously on why Garmin maps are not downloading or how to update them etc. I think mostly from @Saintly Fish to be fair so it could just be user fuckwittery but we haven't had any similar threads for Lowrance, because Lowrance software usually just works.

Yea it's me I'm 100%. It's something I only do once a year so not a thing that sticks in the head. As you know I'm a manual person not a techie nerd like you!

37 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yea it's me I'm 100%. It's something I only do once a year so not a thing that sticks in the head. As you know I'm a manual person not a techie nerd like you!

Ok, I think I had a similar issue when Garmin used the ‘chart tiles’ in active captain.

once you get the shading working in active captain, then it will work when you dump it on the plotter.

I think you just need to start again, by deleting your current chart selection, make sure you have ‘download relief shading’ ticked, and then reselect the area you want.

I noted that the boatless unwashed is taking the pee, we can wait 😉🙄🤣🤣👍

44 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Use delete charts from the chart screen, top right hand button 👍

That's just the thing Ian, I did delete the charts. Think that's why I also lost all my Marks. I'll have another try tomorrow . Don't think I'll bother next year, I'll just use the old out of date chart. 

25 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

That's just the thing Ian, I did delete the charts. Think that's why I also lost all my Marks. I'll have another try tomorrow . Don't think I'll bother next year, I'll just use the old out of date chart. 

The marks will be stored on the plotter, they are not stored on the active captain card, so once you 'sync' with the plotter, they will all come back on active captain.

Good thing is, you can play around at home until you get it right, without having to go to the boat.

I haven't updated my charts for nearly 2 years, TBH very little changes.