Annoying Garmin (or stupid me more like)

8 hours ago, GPSguru said:

The marks will be stored on the plotter, they are not stored on the active captain card, so once you 'sync' with the plotter, they will all come back on active captain.

Good thing is, you can play around at home until you get it right, without having to go to the boat.

I haven't updated my charts for nearly 2 years, TBH very little changes.

My marks have defo disappeared from the plotter. 100%. 
And I'm unable to delete the maps off the app. I've been into settings, gone to delete all on the chart, pressed delete, nothing happens. 

Edited by Saintly Fish

10 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Think that's why I also lost all my Marks.

😱

Nightmare! Hope you can get it sorted, I will be manually writing mine down next time I get the opportunity 

22 minutes ago, Malc said:

😱

Nightmare! Hope you can get it sorted, I will be manually writing mine down next time I get the opportunity 

Luckily I do have them on paper, it's just a ball ache having to manually put them all back in. 

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

And I'm unable to delete the maps off the app. I've been into settings, gone to delete all on the chart, pressed delete, nothing happens. 

Unless you have done a plotter factory reset, the marks should still be there. I don't think there is any other way to bulk delete them.

Firstly restart your phone /ipad (what are you using ?) to see if  the chart delete works again. If not, then delete the app and reinstall. Once you log in, your chart subscription will show ok.

13 hours ago, GPSguru said:

I still use ‘Homeport’ on my PC. It is no longer supported by Garmin, but I think it is still available on their website. Obviously, it dose t support relief shading, but the standard raster charts work well on it.

i use it to enter marks, which are then stored as an *.ADM file onto a SD card. To transfer them the the plotter ( or the other way around), I just plug the card into the plotter and use the ‘user data’ function to merge the waypoint data. 

4 hours ago, daio web said:

come to think about it i dont think i have relief shading on my plotter i only think its on my phone i will have a look on the weekend

On the plotter main screen, tap ‘charts’ and you should get about 5 options come up, i.e nav chart, fishing chart, birds eye view, etc. one of the options will be relief shading. Just tap that and the shaded chart should appear.

14 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

On the plotter main screen, tap ‘charts’ and you should get about 5 options come up, i.e nav chart, fishing chart, birds eye view, etc. one of the options will be relief shading. Just tap that and the shaded chart should appear.

Yes I got that relief shading option on the plotter, but when it comes up there is no relief shading. Just the standard fishing depth contour marks. 

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

Yes I got that relief shading option on the plotter, but when it comes up there is no relief shading. Just the standard fishing depth contour marks. 

I will reset everything and start again. 

9 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I will reset everything and start again. 

Ok, good plan.

Not being funny, but another good plan would be to let Leo do it. Just explain what should happen and let him get on with it. Kids these days are good with tech, they don't think about it, they just do it. 
kyle is always finding stuff on the panoptix and sonar, also Josh the other evening cleaned up my PC for me and got the fancy fan software working like it should and he is only 14.

15 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

If you got the relief shading option, then it loaded it ok.  My be you didnt zoom in enough ?
on your phone, go to the chart and then increase the zoom with you fingers to see it it switches to shading as you zoom in. On my phone the shading does not kick in until I zoom to 2nm as shown in the bottom left corner of the screen. Anything greater than 2nm and it only displays the raster chart, which is normal.

4 hours ago, Malc said:

😱

You plan is to export them as a *.gpx from your plotter to an SD card, then you can import them to any other plotter as GPX is a recognised file standard for GPS waypoints.

As an example, I exported mine from the Garmin, and imported the file into ‘bro in laws’ Lowrance.

18 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

If you got the relief shading option, then it loaded it ok.  My be you didnt zoom in enough ?
on your phone, go to the chart and then increase the zoom with you fingers to see it it switches to shading as you zoom in. On my phone the shading does not kick in until I zoom to 2nm as shown in the bottom left corner of the screen. Anything greater than 2nm and it only displays the raster chart, which is normal.

Yes I have done that and no it's not there on app or plotter.

1 minute ago, GPSguru said:

You plan is to export them as a *.gpx from your plotter to an SD card, then you can import them to any other plotter as GPX is a recognised file standard for GPS waypoints.

As an example, I exported mine from the Garmin, and imported the file into ‘bro in laws’ Lowrance.

I have no clue what that means!

35 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I have no clue what that means!

On your plotter, plug in a blank SD card, go to waypoints, then tap export waypoints, you will then be prompted to enter a file name, do that, tap continue and it will create a file on the SD card of your waypoints 👍

5 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

On your plotter, plug in a blank SD card, go to waypoints, then tap export waypoints, you will then be prompted to enter a file name, do that, tap continue and it will create a file on the SD card of your waypoints 👍

🤣I would if there were any!! As I said they've all disappeared.

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

🤣I would if there were any!! As I said they've all disappeared.

I will have to do this in reverse. I have an sd card that @jonnyswampgave me, it's full of marks for the Solent. I will transfer those to a micro sd, then put them in the plotter that way. I just hope they are the correct format?

12 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I will have to do this in reverse. I have an sd card that @jonnyswampgave me, it's full of marks for the Solent. I will transfer those to a micro sd, then put them in the plotter that way. I just hope they are the correct format?

The Garmin will accept either an ADM or a GPX file, i.e. 'myfiles.adm' or 'myfiles.gpx'

ADM files are pure Garmin but contain ALL the waypoint info, including any notes you might have made.

GPX files are a GPS waypoint standard file format, and Garmin will accept the GPS info and the waypoint name.

If the card has them in any other format, let me know and I might be able to convert it.

15 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

The Garmin will accept either an ADM or a GPX file, i.e. 'myfiles.adm' or 'myfiles.gpx'

ADM files are pure Garmin but contain ALL the waypoint info, including any notes you might have made.

GPX files are a GPS waypoint standard file format, and Garmin will accept the GPS info and the waypoint name.

If the card has them in any other format, let me know and I might be able to convert it.

I'll check it out later!

2 hours ago, GPSguru said:

All marks are in ADM. I've transferred them onto a micro sd and will transfer to the plotter this week. 

6 hours ago, GPSguru said:

thanks budd i will have a look on the weekend 

I'll check it out later!

hi neil sounds like you are having a nightmare mate its put me of renewing mine aswell i am the same as you not very good at the tech stuff  hope you sort it soon budd