New engine

I had been considering changing boats again but have decided to re-power instead. Removing the Honda 90 from my 4.4 centre console and replacing with a new Yam 115. Hopefully have it fitted later in the week.

The Honda doesn't have enough power when needing to carry enough fuel and water for extended remote trips , also the fuel economy from the 90 has been very disappointing. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Nice @JDP. Hopefully it will go well. Is that an auto adjustable height bracket? (I don't have my glasses with me🤓).

No it's just a fixed bracket to allow going from long to extra long, I was going to use a jacking plate but that pushes the weight back a bit to much on such a small boat. The extra long was at a good price costing me around 1200 quid to upgrade from the old 2007 honda 90. Its not a bad thing being able to keep the powerhead up higher out of the water away from any spray from transducers, prop wash etc. Im grateful I have a good outboard mechanic friend to help with the fitting as getting the wiring looms through a small channel up the centre of the hull was a nightmare, not something I would recommend doing. 

Prop test this afternoon. Firstly the conditions weren't great with a 1.9m swell warning on our bar crossing and once through the bar the chop was ugly.

Solas 13 3/8 x 17  stainless, 3500rpm =40kh =3km per litre.
4500rpm =53kh=2.8km per litre.

6000rpm= 75 kh, to difficult to watch fuel flow due to conditions (hard to hold on!!!)

This figures will obviously change a little when I get better conditions to get out in but I couldn't be happier with those results.  I won't bother trying other props as this already exceeded my expectations. Far better economy from a bigger motor having to work less hard than smaller ones. The Honda 90 averaged 1.5km per litre at best.

1 hour ago, JonC said:

Interesting day coming up with the test match, who do you support @JDP? Or do you wait to the very end to pick a side, a bit like writing two letters? 

Don't watch any sport, never been into wasting my time watching other people do things while I could be out doing something more fun. Rarely put the tv on here at all, unless its a royal getting married of course.

Edited by JDP

8 hours ago, JonC said:

Interesting day coming up with the test match, who do you support @JDP? Or do you wait to the very end to pick a side, a bit like writing two letters? 

I thought this was a boat/fishing forum, not a cricket commentary forum. Please just look at the words in bold type at the top of the page, or words to that effect.🙂. Geoff.

7 hours ago, JDP said:

Don't watch any sport, never been into wasting my time watching other people do things while I could be out doing something more fun. Rarely put the tv on here at all, unless its a royal getting married of course.

Well the convicts took it, but what a   game! Pat Cummins knocked the runs off in a fantastic show of grit. Like most right minded people I detest the likes of Smith and Warner and it’s a lot easier to take a loss as an England supporter knowing they got out cheap.

7 minutes ago, JonC said:

Well the convicts took it, but what a   game! Pat Cummins knocked the runs off in a fantastic show of grit. Like most right minded people I detest the likes of Smith and Warner and it’s a lot easier to take a loss as an England supporter knowing they got out cheap.

Consider this a Level 1 warning @JonC

7 hours ago, JDP said:

He's just jealous again because his slug can only do 18kts, you know how he can get😉

If i wanted a boat like that I would have gone on a game show back in 1983. It hasn’t even got a roof.

5 hours ago, JonC said:

If i wanted a boat like that I would have gone on a game show back in 1983. It hasn’t even got a roof.

A roof, why keep the sun off me, roofs are for dismal wet weather 😎