suzuki DF 140

willyhookit

my boat as been  layed up  since we came back from fowey  last september   ive about 20 litres  of  E10  fuel  so i  thought id   buy  a jerry can full of  E5 super unleaded    and  rig up a  temp  fuel supply   inline filter  to a primer bulb    to the   engine  fuel pipe  drained the vst  and  low pressure   fuel filter      primed the low pressure  side up  and  tried to start the engine    it tried to start  but it was like on two cylinder.s   thought there might of been a small amount of old fuel  even though i used a stabilliser   bit of a head scratcher    next step is to take the plugs out  and  squirt  a  bit of    brake cleaner  down the  plug hole  refit the  plugs  and spin it over      high pressure  fuel pump  might of had some old fuel in it ?      anyone had the same Issue    

I had a Suzuki 140, which regularly need plugs replacing, so could simply need plugs. Every 100hrs.

E10 is hygroscopic which attracts water, so water could also be an issue https://www.ipswichcitymechanical.com.au/blog/e10-fuel-may-not-good-vehicle

https://www.mpmoil.co.uk/blog/what-you-should-know-about-e10-petrol#:~:text='E10' contains alcohol and is,for a more extended period.

Ive owned 4 Suzuki outboards but never used e10 as its not recommended for outboards by manufacturers over here for the above link reasons. With any outboard I own I always fit a pre filter with a clear viewing bowl which I check almost every trip.

772370328_ScreenShot2023-06-05at8_53_53am.png.33e8a80d38090f574ef4a66991255f27.png

These filters have a tap on the bottom to allow you to drain any water. If you do get water in the fuel tank or even fungus in diesel tanks you can often clean them up by using Castrol Fuel Doctor. Its a good idea to use this for both petrol and diesel engines. Do some google searching into fuel doctor and Im sure you will feel confident in it not just being another of the many rip-off fuel additives which are on the market. There are also numerous video's showing its effectiveness, especially in countries where heap can amplify issues with contaminated fuels.

Something else you need to keep on top of with Suzuki engines is the anodes. Even if you have only done very few hours over 12 months, make sure you check the anodes on the powerhead cooling system etc. On my 140 these powerhead anodes had been replaced on a service the previous owners had done which was only 37hrs of engine run time, however those 37hrs were from almost 3 years and nothing was left of any of these anodes. The cooling chambers were blocked solid with salt, where scraping and soaking in salt-away eventually got water passing back through the engine again.

Edited by JDP

Hi  J D P      i do have a inline Racor   Water separator  / filter    fitted   as the fuel line comes through the witches hat  into the splash well   ive a replaceable   filter       once i get the engine running on the remote  tank    ill link up a  electric  transfer  pump   and  drain the inboard tank  until empty  then refill with  E5  super unleaded   i  use   a  tin of  ( sea foam )  after  every  fill up     no doubt    condensation    and the  use of that bloody  E10      left in the tank for 8 months    wont help matters         just Ordered two sets of  N G K   B K R 6 E    plugs    one set to replace  whats in   and ill have a  spare set    should i need them    once i get   the 140  running sweet     ill   have a look at the DF6  aux   engine     

i  built a high pressure   flushing   system   using a  garden  pond pump   that just screws into the flushing port     the  pump sits in a  tub    5 inches  off the bottom     the  tub is filled   and ( salt off)  is  added    this  recirculates    for over an hour    the first time i used it   i was amassing      how  much   muck and bits of   shell   came  out   that the flush muffs   never flushed out    thanks for the heads up with the anodes   ill    check them  along with the poppet  valve    Tight lines Alain 

25 minutes ago, willyhookit said:

Hi  J D P      i do have a inline Racor   Water separator  / filter    fitted   as the fuel line comes through the witches hat  into the splash well   ive a replaceable   filter       once i get the engine running on the remote  tank    ill link up a  electric  transfer  pump   and  drain the inboard tank  until empty  then refill with  E5  super unleaded   i  use   a  tin of  ( sea foam )  after  every  fill up     no doubt    condensation    and the  use of that bloody  E10      left in the tank for 8 months    wont help matters         just Ordered two sets of  N G K   B K R 6 E    plugs    one set to replace  whats in   and ill have a  spare set    should i need them    once i get   the 140  running sweet     ill   have a look at the DF6  aux   engine     

i  built a high pressure   flushing   system   using a  garden  pond pump   that just screws into the flushing port     the  pump sits in a  tub    5 inches  off the bottom     the  tub is filled   and ( salt off)  is  added    this  recirculates    for over an hour    the first time i used it   i was amassing      how  much   muck and bits of   shell   came  out   that the flush muffs   never flushed out    thanks for the heads up with the anodes   ill    check them  along with the poppet  valve    Tight lines Alain 

Keep us posted how the anodes on the powerhead look. Im lucky in the fact I skipper a boat for one of the best outboard mechanics in our area, he used to have a Yamaha dealership and his brother has the biggest Suzuki dealership on the south coast. It makes a huge difference when you can rely on decent mechanics.

Hi J D P    its a   200mile plus  round trip to my nearest  suzuki  dealer  if i was to take it there id have to leave my boat there  for at least  a couple of days  and then he lifts your leg  higher than york minster   with his labour charges  plus  V A T    ive a good  selection of tools   mostly  ( snap-on )  with been in the motor trade  when i was younger  doubt its that  hard to  strip it down the  high pressure  fuel chamber  and replace the pump if i have to    not sure if you can have the fuel injectors cleaned  ?   if not  i might replace them  see  how it goes     bloody fuel injection     give me a pair of webber  DCOE  carbs Anyday of the week     

1 hour ago, willyhookit said:

Hi J D P    its a   200mile plus  round trip to my nearest  suzuki  dealer  if i was to take it there id have to leave my boat there  for at least  a couple of days  and then he lifts your leg  higher than york minster   with his labour charges  plus  V A T    ive a good  selection of tools   mostly  ( snap-on )  with been in the motor trade  when i was younger  doubt its that  hard to  strip it down the  high pressure  fuel chamber  and replace the pump if i have to    not sure if you can have the fuel injectors cleaned  ?   if not  i might replace them  see  how it goes     bloody fuel injection     give me a pair of webber  DCOE  carbs Anyday of the week     

Thought it was just here with the big miles to get to dealerships etc. Im about 5hrs south of Sydney which is where we often need to head for most things!!!

well ive had another  go  at getting my engine started     fitted  4 new  spark plugs  set at  0.7 mm    primed  the  temp fuel line up    tuned the key and brum   then as quickly as it started it cut out  back to square one         if you squeeze  the primer bulb until  really hard    it starts  then cuts out so im thinking its the high pressure fuel pump thats goosed      just been onto a  suzuki  dealer  ( Aquatec )  and spoke to  a  guy  who  after explaining  what my engine is doing    said well if you bring it here    id Recomend   fitting a  new  high pressure fuel pump     high pressure  fuel regulator  high pressure fuel filter   fuel pump bush  and a fuel pump gasket   he. going to get me some prices tomorrow   but it wont be cheap     my advice would be to anyone taking the boat down to cornwall  if you have a inboard fuel tank       buy a quick change   fuel connector   and  run twin remote tanks  with E10   as thats all you can get down there    what you dont use you can throw away    do not leave it   even if you have added   a fuel stabiliser   like i did     ive taken some pics of the fuel i drained  out of the water Separator / filter         doubt im going to get much change out of £5/600    in parts     the labour ill do my self    

On 6/4/2023 at 1:48 PM, willyhookit said:

next step is to take the plugs out  and  squirt  a  bit of    brake cleaner  down the  plug hole  refit the  plugs  and spin it over  

Nooooooooo

Don't do that EVER, the brake cleaner will was the oil off the bores and cause premature wear. If you have to spray it anywhere, then down the air intake so it can be atomised and ignited....

You likely have a bit of crud in the injectors from standing

well ive ordred the parts today  1 x  high pressure  fuel pump   1 x high pressure regulator  1 x high pressure  fuel filter  1 x fuel pump bush  1 x vst  gasket  1 x inlet manifold  gasket  thats a cool £558 .69    out of my pocket money                  suzook 12     the amount of  brake cleaner  i squirted into the  Cylinder.s     wont be enough to wash the bores    

10 minutes ago, willyhookit said:

well ive ordred the parts today  1 x  high pressure  fuel pump   1 x high pressure regulator  1 x high pressure  fuel filter  1 x fuel pump bush  1 x vst  gasket  1 x inlet manifold  gasket  thats a cool £558 .69    out of my pocket money                  suzook 12     the amount of  brake cleaner  i squirted into the  Cylinder.s     wont be enough to wash the bores    

Your engine mate....

• 2 months later...

well at long last   ive  got my engine up and running   ive been waiting  weeks for a  Thermostat  to arrive  and it  arrived this morning     £56  plus  £6.95  postage     while  ive been waiting  i  changed the impeller   fitted a  new  racor   water  separator / filter   flushed the inboard tank    using  60  lts of  fuel  that was  rigged up to recirculate  through the old  water separator / filter    then back into the    tank        put a  few    circles  in the clear  fuel pipe   just so  any bits of crap the filter   missed  would collect  in the bottom of the circle  (  old tick  on British  M / bikes )     well happy with everything  now    engine is running as sweet as a  nut   and pisses like a  horse   ive  now got 4 psi   water pressure  @ 1000  rpm      Tight lines  Alain  

1 hour ago, willyhookit said:

well at long last   ive  got my engine up and running   ive been waiting  weeks for a  Thermostat  to arrive  and it  arrived this morning     £56  plus  £6.95  postage     while  ive been waiting  i  changed the impeller   fitted a  new  racor   water  separator / filter   flushed the inboard tank    using  60  lts of  fuel  that was  rigged up to recirculate  through the old  water separator / filter    then back into the    tank        put a  few    circles  in the clear  fuel pipe   just so  any bits of crap the filter   missed  would collect  in the bottom of the circle  (  old tick  on British  M / bikes )     well happy with everything  now    engine is running as sweet as a  nut   and pisses like a  horse   ive  now got 4 psi   water pressure  @ 1000  rpm      Tight lines  Alain  

Well done Alain.