Anchor trip

Personally I don’t.... 😬😬😬😬

Ive had too many pull out (should of added more cable ties) 

Its on the job list for tomorrow and weekend.... move kit around boat, resplice anchor rode, 

Set anchor to trip.... however I like to overnight and I don’t want it to trip overnight.

Tom Bettle is on WSF selling small anchors that are self tripping but only up to about 7.5kg so too small for my boat 

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

I have considered though whether it’s viable to Alderney ring to save the winch when single handed. And then use the winch once the anchor has risen to the top. 

Me too. What makes me hesitate is the fact that with a bigger boat it's harder to see if you're running over the anchor line. Easy in a 16 footer, but less so in our tubs Neil. Mind you, I should probably give it a go from the second helm station to see if that could work.

1 minute ago, Odyssey said:

Tom Bettle is on WSF selling small anchors that are self tripping but only up to about 7.5kg so too small for my boat 

Now there's a blast from the past. I never worked out whether he left or was booted?

8 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Now there's a blast from the past. I never worked out whether he left or was booted?

He’s back, just restarted a thread there 

33 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I used the Anchor Trip link on Apache (https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/2257469794), and it works really well. I'd use the same on Jersey Girl if they made a bigger one, but at present her anchor isn't tripped.

That's the one I was thinking about, they don't do a bigger version ?

Cable ties it is then, though now and again they catch on the end/side of the bow roller and snap off

Is there anything available (like a shroud of sorts) to cover the end of the anchor (cable ties) to stop this happening 

5 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

That's the one I was thinking about, they don't do a bigger version ?

Cable ties it is then, though now and again they catch on the end/side of the bow roller and snap off

Is there anything available (like a shroud of sorts) to cover the end of the anchor (cable ties) to stop this happening 

If you shroud them, the cable ties may not snap when you want them to.

I don't remember seeing a bigger one, but agreed - would be good if they did one.

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

If your using an Alderney ring then you are launching and recovering by hand no? So why would your anchor snag the ties in the roller? Just be a bit more careful perhaps? 

When dropping anchor perhaps.

I use the alderney ring method to recover the anchor during the day for moves and re-anchoring the marks when the tide changes.  We use thick cable ties to trip the anchor and don't have a problem with them tripping during the day just sometimes when steaming the anchor out.  At the end of the day we still raise the anchor with the alderney ring but once up use the windlass to stow the rope and chain aboard.  I do it this way as it's quicker to raise the anchor via the alderney ring than using the windlass.

If you want to overnight or just need more security you can leave the anchor with trips but also fit a shackle at the top of the anchor stock to join the chain to the anchor.  But remember when doing this you are then at risk of loosing your anchor if fishing snaggy ground 

7 minutes ago, Maverick said:

I use the alderney ring method to recover the anchor during the day for moves and re-anchoring the marks when the tide changes.  We use thick cable ties to trip the anchor and don't have a problem with them tripping during the day just sometimes when steaming the anchor out.  At the end of the day we still raise the anchor with the alderney ring but once up use the windlass to stow the rope and chain aboard.  I do it this way as it's quicker to raise the anchor via the alderney ring than using the windlass.

If you want to overnight or just need more security you can leave the anchor with trips but also fit a shackle at the top of the anchor stock to join the chain to the anchor.  But remember when doing this you are then at risk of loosing your anchor if fishing snaggy ground 

How do you find it getting the bouy off when the anchor reaches the pulpit. I believe you have a bottle nose at the front line I do? 

24 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

How do you find it getting the bouy off when the anchor reaches the pulpit. I believe you have a bottle nose at the front line I do? 

You take the buoy off when its alongside, not when the anchor's at the bow.

3 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

We can tell you've never used the Alderney method then... 😉

Yes I have, plenty thanks. I just turn the bow of the boat to face the bouy when the anchors up, and pull it in from the front. 
don’t try to be smart it don’t suit you 👨🏼‍🦰

10 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Does the anchor not trip when you use the windlass to pull it up then? 

Yes if it gets stuck, my problem is the ties sometimes catch on the front of the bow roller and snap

Not the end of the world, just a pain and wondered if there was an easy solution

4 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Yes if it gets stuck, my problem is the ties sometimes catch on the front of the bow roller and snap

Not the end of the world, just a pain and wondered if there was an easy solution

How about twisted copper cable? Not sure if that’ll hold enough though.