Anchor trip

2 minutes ago, JonC said:

I hate motoring forward to break the anchor out, I know the rope goes either side of prop but it feels wrong. 

I've never tried it, I used to pull anchor by hand on my first boat (younger, stronger, stupider)

And my last 2 have both had a windlass

Probably 80% of the small boats around me use the Alderney method and have no issues, we sometimes get silly undercurrents which would make me nervous about using it

Have only heard of 1 sinking when he got it wrong (about 4 yrs ago, was on wsf) that was enough for me

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

How about twisted copper cable? Not sure if that’ll hold enough though. 

I think it's more the case of the top of the anchor shaft catching under the roller bracket (don't know the name) and the force of the windlass snapping the ties

37 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

I've never tried it, I used to pull anchor by hand on my first boat (younger, stronger, stupider)

And my last 2 have both had a windlass

Probably 80% of the small boats around me use the Alderney method and have no issues, we sometimes get silly undercurrents which would make me nervous about using it

Have only heard of 1 sinking when he got it wrong (about 4 yrs ago, was on wsf) that was enough for me

When you’re recovering in shallow water do you break out first or just motor over the top and wind up?

17 minutes ago, JonC said:

When you’re recovering in shallow water do you break out first or just motor over the top and wind up?

In and out of forward and wind at the same time, trying to get warp/chain vertical so once it trips or breaks free, it's not dragging the bottom just coming straight up

Obviously it will depend on tide strength as to how vertical it will actually be

Don't know if that's the correct way, but it works for me

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

How do you find it getting the bouy off when the anchor reaches the pulpit. I believe you have a bottle nose at the front line I do? 

We either take the anchor over the side, remove the buoy and let the chain go down which means you have about 40' chain to bring in on the windlass or if its not rough Dean goes upfront (we have high rails and plenty of hand holds) and removes the buoy or the last bit of rope along with chain comes over the side and we sort out back at the pontoon.  When you have a crew member as capable as my boy no words are uttered we both know exactly what is going to happen.  I recommend every skipper has a Dean and it sounds like you will have one in not to many years time :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Maverick

On Apache, the anchor, chain and rope for the usual depth I anchor in live in a builders bucket in up in the anchor well in the cuddy. When we're ready to anchor the bucket comes out and the anchor gets thrown over the side once the buoy and ring is clipped on.

Recovery is the same but in reverse. The buoy, with anchor and chain suspended below gets pulled by hand alongside (not hard work as the buoy is holding the anchor and you're only pulling it towards the boat). Once alongside the rope, chain and anchor is wound back into the bucket, then re-stowed up front.

I'd consider going back to the Alderney method on Jersey Girl as its quicker and safer than using the windlass because I wouldn't need to go up front with no railings in a swell to sort out any tangles in the gypsy.

Interested to hear about using the Alderney method with a windlass. Not had a windlass til recently and always used the Alderney method off the front of my old Bayliner. 

I'll see how it goes with the windlass and may revert to the Alderney. I still have all the kit save the ring.

On 12/1/2020 at 5:30 PM, Odyssey said:

Personally I don’t.... 😬😬😬😬

Ive had too many pull out (should of added more cable ties) 

Its on the job list for tomorrow and weekend.... move kit around boat, resplice anchor rode, 

Set anchor to trip.... however I like to overnight and I don’t want it to trip overnight.

Tom Bettle is on WSF selling small anchors that are self tripping but only up to about 7.5kg so too small for my boat 

For the benefit of people who are unable through unfortunate circumstances which are no fault of there own these are what he’s peddling-F74D79A9-6373-447D-A55A-32F4F7FF8A4D.thumb.png.f054ae59261b377a56fe48b62fc9e03a.png

On 12/1/2020 at 5:30 PM, Odyssey said:

Set anchor to trip.... however I like to overnight and I don’t want it to trip overnight.

Just thinking about this a bit - would it be possible to use a spare shackle to ensure it can't trip when overnighting? You could leave the cable ties on and shackle the chain to the last eye of the anchor whenever you need to, then remove and let the ties do their work when fishing.

31 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Just thinking about this a bit - would it be possible to use a spare shackle to ensure it can't trip when overnighting? You could leave the cable ties on and shackle the chain to the last eye of the anchor whenever you need to, then remove and let the ties do their work when fishing.

I’ve been thinking about it too..... 

If overnight on Celtic deeps no need to anchor as I’ll be fishing on the drift 🤣

7 hours ago, Andy135 said:

You're a bit slow I mentioned this on page one of this thread lol