Selsey Hounds..

Hoop

Why not put a short wire leader instead of mono traces, sounds like they are getting the hooks down to deep if they keep snipping you off. We tend to rarely get bitten off on tope (bycatch) but we also fish with heavy drags and don't let the fish take line even with mono traces.

Great report, about time there was little action on here.

11 hours ago, JDP said:

Why not put a short wire leader instead of mono traces, sounds like they are getting the hooks down to deep if they keep snipping you off. We tend to rarely get bitten off on tope (bycatch) but we also fish with heavy drags and don't let the fish take line even with mono traces.

All in hand, quick recce to the tackleshop for 7/0 sakumas, 80lb leader for trace body and 60lb wire.. standby for this evenings blank! 

Regards locking up, my main line is only 18lb..

3 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Top effort Steve. Well done! Beats my weekend blank, so hats off to you 👍

Blank!? Booooooo... The outing has gone quiet?! If you're allowed out on a school day, run down for a few hours.. welcome any time.

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Nice going Steve, sounds like an exciting time on the shingle!  @JDP Steve did say that he couldn't find his wire leaders!! 

Cheers Neil. 

One big hound, will give it another hour or so before the off.

Chatting in the tackleshop earlier, apparently codling are abundant so it would appear, being caught on Solent beaches, boats.. chesil are throwing them up too. Fiver says this is our cod run, blink and its gone!! 

As predicted, tis was pants! Finished with just the one hound. Will watch for the right conditions to get back over for another go.

A not so little Lab. Mum and Dad are Silver labs that looked like Weimaraners, colours in the litter ranged from light like Archie here, to one silver and a few brown. He's the sweetest pooch, 14 weeks.. walking to heel, off lead even at the beach. Though this was his second outing.

20230814_200445.thumb.jpg.33ec37f1bbd9dbdc3ff0a7fb4f923fe9.jpg

3 hours ago, Hoop said:

As predicted, tis was pants! Finished with just the one hound. Will watch for the right conditions to get back over for another go.

A not so little Lab. Mum and Dad are Silver labs that looked like Weimaraners, colours in the litter ranged from light like Archie here, to one silver and a few brown. He's the sweetest pooch, 14 weeks.. walking to heel, off lead even at the beach. Though this was his second outing.

20230814_200445.thumb.jpg.33ec37f1bbd9dbdc3ff0a7fb4f923fe9.jpg

He's cute, labs are just the best. We had a chocolate one for 13 years. He was the sweetest thing. 

IMG_2499.jpeg.7eec4dc6ea7002cceb3d45fcea8d8052.jpeg

Edited by Saintly Fish

18 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

He's cute, labs are just the best. We had a chocolate one for 13 years. He was the sweetest thing. 

IMG_2499.jpeg.7eec4dc6ea7002cceb3d45fcea8d8052.jpeg

The advice I picked up over the years amounted to avoid labs, due to nature and lust for food but Archie has been the easiest pup I've ever had, an absolute joy.

Neil, you're boy looks very dapper indeed. 

3 hours ago, Hoop said:

The advice I picked up over the years amounted to avoid labs, due to nature and lust for food but Archie has been the easiest pup I've ever had, an absolute joy.

Neil, you're boy looks very dapper indeed. 

He was about 7 in that pic. Later in his life he preferred caps!! 

IMG_1171.jpeg.3696fe626f55ae81c3f4f7efa59fc6a0.jpeg

15 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

He was about 7 in that pic. Later in his life he preferred caps!! 

IMG_1171.jpeg.3696fe626f55ae81c3f4f7efa59fc6a0.jpeg

Love him. Looks like a very happy, contented grand old man in that picture. Did he enjoy being on the water? Will you get another dog? 

Fishing last night, again. Different part of the beach last night due to a few already in situ, so set up on the shit end into dodgy ground.. 3 casts, lost the first set, big hound on the second and somehow managed to break through 80lb trace body playing a fish in on the third.. wrapped up when the nobbers decended upon the beach, 2 rods in a moderate tide run with weed .. horrendous anyone playing a decent fish wouldve been carnage. I travelled to the beach just as most do, if I turn up to it full then I'd sooner go elsewhere than set up on top of someone because I'm too much of a fat cunt to go elsewhere.. pondlife. 

Anyho, that aside..  before the noddies turned up, one chap did beach a Tope from a spot close to where I fished on Sunday. Also, I did spot some large fish feeding a ways out, first i thought they were dolphin as the wakes were so large but nothing jumped, i wondered if it were a shoal of Tuna? Sure the Solent boats would be better positioned for whatever it was..

Edited by Hoop

3 hours ago, Hoop said:

Did he enjoy being on the water? Will you get another dog? 

Yes he loved it. It was tricky as he got older however. Lifting a 35kg dog on and off the boat was not as easy as one might think. 
We have a new dog, he's called cooper and he's a rescue from Bosnia. He's about 2.5, and loves being on the boat, but hates water deeper than his elbows. 

IMG_0257.jpeg.911f35f17febad11d05d757d8f52e515.jpeg

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Lifting a 35kg dog on and off the boat was not as easy as one might think. 
We have a new dog, he's called cooper and he's a rescue from Bosnia. He's about 2.5, and loves being on the boat, but hates water deeper than his elbows. 

I bet he felt it as an older dog getting off the boat too. Did he bulk up into adult/seniorhood? 

Cooper, great name for a pooch. Was he a street dog? Do you know the makeup? Bit of doberman in there??

2 minutes ago, Hoop said:

I bet he felt it as an older dog getting off the boat too. Did he bulk up into adult/seniorhood? 

Cooper, great name for a pooch. Was he a street dog? Do you know the makeup? Bit of doberman in there??

Our lab had deformed front legs (never gave him trouble) so was on a strict diet, but given half a chance would eat all day. 
Cooper was a street dog and had a few mental scars, but healing well beyond expectation. He is a Slovenski Kopov, basically translates as a Slovakian hound. Bred for bringing down wild boar. 

12 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Our lab had deformed front legs (never gave him trouble) so was on a strict diet, but given half a chance would eat all day. 
Cooper was a street dog and had a few mental scars, but healing well beyond expectation. He is a Slovenski Kopov, basically translates as a Slovakian hound. Bred for bringing down wild boar. 

Ahhh bless him. Common traits in labs? or so I've read. 

Bred for Boar hunting? Must be a beast of a dog? Presumably a pack dog?

This is Pippa the Skipper…. She runs the boat really 🤣🤣🤣

Some lovely hounds there 🙂 

Od advise 6in of wire if you’re after tope. 60lb won’t last long at all… or go for 200lb mono if you want to avoid wire 

635F5FCC-0133-4C4B-984D-D9A96E288B78.jpeg

3 hours ago, Hoop said:

Ahhh bless him. Common traits in labs? or so I've read. 

Bred for Boar hunting? Must be a beast of a dog? Presumably a pack dog?

Defo not a beast. He weighs 16kg, but will run forever. And yes, they hunted in packs. 

On 8/17/2023 at 9:48 PM, Odyssey said:

This is Pippa the Skipper…. She runs the boat really 🤣🤣🤣

Some lovely hounds there 🙂 

Od advise 6in of wire if you’re after tope. 60lb won’t last long at all… or go for 200lb mono if you want to avoid wire 

635F5FCC-0133-4C4B-984D-D9A96E288B78.jpeg

Very sweet, can't go wrong with a Spaniel, unless it's one of those ugly pug nose faced things.. Pippa looks right at home in the skippers seat, all she's missing is the hat! 

Thanks for the Tope, pointer. I'd love to use mono but used to find the heavier the line the more of a pain to get it to knot probably, (thinking about which, guess could use crimps?) any particular mono / knot suggestions? Wire is a pain for developing kinks, due to the removal of bait elastic.. the application of which is never shy.

5 hours ago, Hoop said:

Very sweet, can't go wrong with a Spaniel, unless it's one of those ugly pug nose faced things.. Pippa looks right at home in the skippers seat, all she's missing is the hat! 

Thanks for the Tope, pointer. I'd love to use mono but used to find the heavier the line the more of a pain to get it to knot probably, (thinking about which, guess could use crimps?) any particular mono / knot suggestions? Wire is a pain for developing kinks, due to the removal of bait elastic.. the application of which is never shy.

I crimp mono, rigs don’t last long but you only need a short piece, for wire crimp or haywire twist…. 49 strand doesn’t kink too much

On 8/19/2023 at 3:28 PM, Odyssey said:

I crimp mono, rigs don’t last long but you only need a short piece, for wire crimp or haywire twist…. 49 strand doesn’t kink too much

7 hours ago, Malc said:

If you want I could make you up a couple of traces as I have crimps and 220lb mono and if you get on with it you can buy your own and make them up yourself?

Contact me on the messenger system if you want. 

Thanks guys.

Blown away with your very kind offer, Malc. TY. I'll ping you over a message.

Thanks again.