What rod?

Ok guys,

After Thursdays trip, it proved my 12-20lb Greys Toreon is not up to tope in the 40-50lb bracket in a good tide.

So, do I go 20-30lb class or 30-50lb? I like a rod to bend but needs to have some beef too. Going away from Toreons as no longer made, it's difficult to know what to go for. Budget up to around £100 what would you guys suggest?

1 hour ago, suzook12 said:

Ok guys,

After Thursdays trip, it proved my 12-20lb Greys Toreon is not up to tope in the 40-50lb bracket in a good tide.

So, do I go 20-30lb class or 30-50lb? I like a rod to bend but needs to have some beef too. Going away from Toreons as no longer made, it's difficult to know what to go for. Budget up to around £100 what would you guys suggest?

you took the mick out of my yellow  rod. it would have done the job

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

@suzook12 ugly stick elite 30/50 £86.99 in Veals, they are having a 10% off promo atm too!!

Dont like em mate, got em on the boat so tried. Didnt like the feel of them

Quite like the beastmasters, very good rep, and liked my mates one when he had one a while back..... I guess it will have to be the shimano, haven't used a penn or ABU I've liked yet

7 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Quite like the beastmasters, very good rep, and liked my mates one when he had one a while back..... I guess it will have to be the shimano, haven't used a penn or ABU I've liked yet

what about the shakespear  uglystick gx2 i have just bought two they do a 30 / 50 class and still bend nice 

10 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Strange how different guys like differing rods. I've got two uglysticks and find them really very good quality and strength for the money. And you did say you wanted budget.

Edited by Saintly Fish

Thanks guys, I have completely ignored all of you and gone for the beastmaster 🤣

@Andy135 The boat has mostly GX2's on board, which in itself is a good enough reason not to have one, before some numpty grabs it and starts banging it on the railings. Again, I have, when necessary, used them but always been happy to get back on my toreon.

Oddly, it seems half the rods on the market including Greys and Shakespeare and ABUand Penn are now Purefish owned/made. Probably why theres less rods on the market than there used to be.

So the main independents are now Shimano and Diawa. Unfortunately, despite making some nice kit, I have found Diawa too expensive for what you get, even back as far as the 7ht's, good rep, good reel, but when compared to an ABU, the quality wasn't there, smoothness of bearings, even the knob on the handle felt gritty in comparison, and that was before it had left the shop. 

Shame, as I would have been tempted at a kenzagi had it been £80 lighter. Anyway, deed is done, lets wait for the posty to deliver so I can enjoy or repent at leisure 🤣

Thanks for the input guys.

6 hours ago, daio web said:

have a look on the angling direct website good write up on them and good price 

Here;s a thing, Angling Direct are based in Norwich and also have a store there, yet their shop has none or very few of the rods available from their website from the same address!! I would have gone and tried em but they didn't "have" them. My other go to also no longer stock Shimano and only had GX2's.

A few years back you could go to numerous shops and do direct comparisons. Now you can only buy most online. Seems the tackle trade have missed a trick here. By supporting the big shops with massive discounts and giving the little shops next to nothing they have lost potential sales to cheaper brands as they have made their gear unobtainable. Unless you live near one of the big boys, but even then dont count on it as the rods you want to look at could be internet only....

i have only used this angling direct once mate this reason is they were nearly 30 pound cheaper per rod so i ended up with a great failey cheap birthday prescent i normaly fish 2 rods at the time so i like the same actoin on both rods my son broke my other uptide matching outfit last time out  and they dont make those rods anymore aswell bud

• 2 weeks later...

As it goes, I was completely undecided whether I should have a 20-30 or a 30-50. Needless to say, this age old dilemma resulted in 2 new rods arriving through the letter box. So far am well happy with them. Hopefully can get out Friday to try at least one out if not both.... 🤣

Check with a few stores to see if they have any of the many in the range of Shimano grappler rods. I find these light rods have great action where they bend well before getting to a point you can virtually go full drag with every bit of power you have. The point where you can really load these up is when the rod has a very parabolic bend which greatly helps with angler fatigue. I know a few people on the other UK site have been able to buy them in the UK, however I wouldn't buy one without trying it out in store but if you did buy one online, go with a heavier model than the rods rating you may consider right. A rod in the 50lb class size is more like a 20-30, the rod ratings are a little different. Ive had many fishing rods over the years, many being very high end costly items but at the moment these grapplers have become my favourite on price and action.

Amazon have Grapplers, but to be fair, they are well out of budget at nearly £300. For the amount of fishing you do, then fair enough, but I don't get to do enough to justify that sort of expence. I just bought 2 beastmasters for just over a smidgen over half of that and they should last me many years to come. Cheers for the input tho Jon 👍

15 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Amazon have Grapplers, but to be fair, they are well out of budget at nearly £300. For the amount of fishing you do, then fair enough, but I don't get to do enough to justify that sort of expence. I just bought 2 beastmasters for just over a smidgen over half of that and they should last me many years to come. Cheers for the input tho Jon 👍

Wow 300 quid is high, its crazy how some fishing items can be cheaper in the UK or at least very close in price and others way more expensive. My last grappler was $200 Aus which is bellow 100 quid now with our bad exchange rate.