Hi all,

pete.g

Found this forum yesterday and really like it, hopefully it will prove to be a very popular one. I  fish for Salmon, seatrout, trout, Bass and other sea fish and have been lucky enough to fish all over GB and Ireland ,Canada the USA,Chile and Argentina. I have my own boat an Explorer Elite and get out on it as often as the weather permits here in Cornwall.I spent over 25 years of my working life as a Fisheries Enforcement Officer with the NRA and then the EA working on the Salmon rivers of Devon and Cornwall and as a boat skipper patrolling the coast.I retired at 54 taking VERS and since then have been lucky enough to guide and host flyfishing trips to the USA and Patagonia which will hopefully kick off again once this Covid has passed.

Welcome Pete! Good to have you on here. Sounds like you've had an interesting career. Bet there are some good tales to be told?

Glad you like the forum. We're small but growing and the more the merrier, so feel free to spread the word 👍

You have some wonderful coastline in Cornwall. I'm more than a little bit envious! Are you N or S coast?

Thanks for the intro Pete. Most of us are just part time leisurely boat fisherman who are more than happy catching dog fish ( @Andy135 ) and the like. Nothing quite as interesting as your fishing but we love it all the same. Your very welcome here and we hope you enjoy and don’t get easily offended. 
May I ask for marketing purposes how you came across us? 

Neil

Just now, pete.g said:

No i don't get easily offended,ex Police Officer and Fisheries Officer so i have a pretty thick skin.Came across this site when i saw a reference to it on WSF.

Looks like you'll fit right in then 😉

We're a bit different to WSF on here, but in a good way 👍

25 minutes ago, pete.g said:

Ok can do,  i retired about 5 years ago and things have changed since ,some things operational i won't be able to talk about but i can give an overview.

That would be great. I do wonder (don’t take this the wrong way) if the fisheries patrols are effective or just a waste of time. Seems not many heed them. 

14 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

That would be great. I do wonder (don’t take this the wrong way) if the fisheries patrols are effective or just a waste of time. Seems not many heed them. 

I'm guessing that a lot of their work is done offshore and out of sight of land, so whilst it's an understandable perception, I'm sure (hope?) there's more to it than stopping illegal netters in a harbour.

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

The EA lost it's jurisdiction over coastal enforcement several years ago when this was taken over by the IFCA's and you are right, since then coastal enforcement has been ineffective principally because the IFCA's do not carry out coastal enforcement patrols.

3 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Welcome Pete, you've by now seen that the stamp of user here is a little lower than some sites however, its more fun here.

Really looking forward to your written talk on the life of a fisheries officer

Your such an older gent Martin. So polite and kind. You and @Geoff would get on so well. Do you like Gilbert and Sullivan too?

18 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Your such an older gent Martin. So polite and kind. You and @Geoff would get on so well. Do you like Gilbert and Sullivan too?

Well Martin, you have seen what to expect from most forum members, but please do not be offended by some of their crass comments. Despite the fct that most of them refuse to wear their Naughty hats (too small for most of them), they are really quite an affable (JC referring to dictionary) crowd. Geoff.

21 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Well Martin, you have seen what to expect from most forum members, but please do not be offended by some of their crass comments. Despite the fct that most of them refuse to wear their Naughty hats (too small for most of them), they are really quite an affable (JC referring to dictionary) crowd. Geoff.

Why are you starting on Jon Cook? He hasn’t done anything wrong.