New ActiveTarget live sonar from Lowrance

Do I need an excuse for more kit...?? 🤔

The only thing stopping me is the fact that our style of fishing is so different to the US lake fishing for freshwater bass that this kit is aimed at. Could be good for targeting European bass in shallow estuaries or harbours, or perhaps for checking out what's on a shallow reef system, but I'm yet to be convinced it's £1400 well spent.

What do the Outlaws think? What other applications can we see for live sonar in the UK? Scouting for bream nesting areas maybe?

Use it to get yourself Radar....

Raymarine can you get radome and MFD for that price. 

You catch plenty of dogfish without needing more gadgets to find them 🤣

On 12/4/2020 at 2:26 PM, Andy135 said:

Do I need an excuse for more kit...?? 🤔

The only thing stopping me is the fact that our style of fishing is so different to the US lake fishing for freshwater bass that this kit is aimed at. Could be good for targeting European bass in shallow estuaries or harbours, or perhaps for checking out what's on a shallow reef system, but I'm yet to be convinced it's £1400 well spent.

What do the Outlaws think? What other applications can we see for live sonar in the UK? Scouting for bream nesting areas maybe?

I use Garmin 'Livescope' and find it very effective, especially when over a wreck as you can see exactly where the fish are in relation to the wreck, however, most of the time I use it as forward scanning sonar and it is not only useful but very effective ........... however, not a cheap option, and I am always aware that i have a £1100 transducer hanging off the transom !

Those advertising videos can be a bit misleading. Firstly they are often (as in the above video) in freshwater. Secondly dead flat conditions with no current or wind and finally they are in water so shallow most of us can simply look over the side with good polarisers to see the fish!!!

You have to ask how often will you be fishing those conditions. Today we had 2m swell and 20-30kts of wind which swung completely around the compass during our trip on the water ( Im smashed!!). Much of the time I struggled with basic 2d sonar due to how rough conditions were.

In the last three months I still haven't had good conditions to utilise sidescan or panoptics live scan to their full potential or anywhere near that. 

Don't get me wrong, these features (transducers ) are fun to use but I find Im constantly working the controls to get the best out of them, yes auto gets you adequate results but not great. 

If you do decide to get one, first check out the size of the transducer and whether you have the space for it. My panoptics pc30 is a big lump of a transducer to squeeze among the other things already fitted. Also with the Garmin I would need all three of the panoptics live transducers to do what they showed in the video, do you know if you would need the same with Lawrence or just one?