Electronics

265hw in shallow 28m of water, showing pilchards and bigger predators bellow. Will be out targeting marlin on Friday in 400ft +so can grab a shot from then if I see anything interesting. We don't with to the low frequency unless we are targeting fish in the 1500-2000 with the other transducer. The shallow water ones are good to around the 1000ft, so would recommend those for UK waters. I prefer using the black screen which unfortunately isn't an option with my Garmin's. 

ScreenShot2024-01-17at10_25_35am.png.065955c12ace1c8f72ef7bb82b846b59.png

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Looks like I’m going for the xSonic Airmar M260

Itll be the shoot through hull type…. Just need to sort a temp sensor now 🤔

Sounds OK, get on with it 👍

Remember Luke, regardless of what system you go for, the technology is all the same, that is the nature of the beast.

It all comes down to the way in which the GUI (graphical user interface) is presented, and ease of use, and what works for one person, might not work for another, it is mostly personal preferences and interpretation, BUT, the technology behind the screens is all the same.

33 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Looks like I’m going for the xSonic Airmar M260

Itll be the shoot through hull type…. Just need to sort a temp sensor now 🤔

I had an external mount Airmar 260, you might even be able to find my review on the other forum from years back which I did. At the time I was using Lowrance hds mk 3 head units. It was the worst transducer I've owned, even comparing against transducers a fraction of the cost. Side by side offshore in deep water the 260 would lose bottom and not find it again until I got back to water depths of 100m (ish). 
When it did pick up bottom in shallower depths there was no advantage in detail to what the stock standard lowrance transducer showed on screen, to be totally honest it was worse. The narrow 6 degree beam at 200khz only shows a very small footprint of the bottom, so fish would need to be directly under the beam to show on the head unit. Being such a narrow beam also means it needs to be set at the perfect angle to send and receive a signal. Even after many adjustments to get the angle spot on, rough sea's would see the signal missing the transducer on its return in deep water. Most people here go for the wider beam angle especially targeting game fish that feed on large schools of mackerel. 

Setting my 260 to 50khz for its wider beam signal meant having to drive the boat so slow that I could not pick up bottom at all at cruising speeds, unlike my Lowrances $150 transducer. I would have to know where a mark already was in deeper water then drift over it to have any chance of picking it up. Much of the time though the two head units would fail to receive any signal as the seas always have some chop and swell. Just pointing out though that the Lowrance head units are the equivalent of 600wt units and the 260 is a 1kw, however they should of been able to drive the transducer well enough. The $150 200-50khz remained my go to transducer for many years. It could pick up bottom in 600m of water and show jigs, bait rigs, small fish and large fish very well. I often see the 260 for sale on the marketplace and ebay where Ive never seen any of the wider beam transducers on the secondhand market.

There are transom mount sliding brackets which allow transducers to be raised for boats on moorings. I have used these (still do) as I run three transducers even on my 15ft boat and being able to raise big transducers out of the water when running can assist boat performance when you are racing your mates!!!!!

You may have netter luck if you are committed to getting it now.

Ok back to the drawing board then 🤣 ill have a chat with the guy next door, he’s got an excellent set up and see what he’d got

So I’ve had a rummage in my boat bits drawer…. It appears that I’ve got a HDI skimmer transducer…. I’m tempted to get fit this also to the hull and shoot from the inside, I don’t need temperature but looks like it should work ok… that way I can have another option for depth and won’t cost me much (some sikaflex and a few cable ties!)