Electronics

So…. Open the debate….

Garmin, Raymarine, Simrad or Humminbird? 

im looking at 2 12Inch displays, new transducers (chirp, downscan, structure scan), radar…. Maybe AIS as well…

I may also need a deck mounted 9inch screen or potentially an IPad via WiFi to main set ups….

not sure if I’m going ahead as trying to cost it all up…. It’s scary numbers 🤣🤣🤣

but as it’s quiet in here…. Let me know what’s best and why  🙂

45 minutes ago, JonC said:

You have omitted lowrance from your list,  is that intentional? 

Yep…. I’d stick with Simrad over Lowrance as Inknoe the Simrad gear

Edited by Odyssey

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Yep…. I’d stick with Simrad over Lowrance as Inknoe the Simrad gear

And Simrad/Lowrance/B&G are basically all the same underlying hardware and OS, just with slightly different user interfaces. All owned by Navico.

15 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

And Simrad/Lowrance/B&G are basically all the same underlying hardware and OS, just with slightly different user interfaces. All owned by Navico.

You like  a Lowrance product I recall? You had some tax dodge expenses claim thing going on or something, that and the floating duck house.  

14 hours ago, Odyssey said:

So…. Open the debate….

Garmin, Raymarine, Simrad or Humminbird? 

im looking at 2 12Inch displays, new transducers (chirp, downscan, structure scan), radar…. Maybe AIS as well…

I may also need a deck mounted 9inch screen or potentially an IPad via WiFi to main set ups….

not sure if I’m going ahead as trying to cost it all up…. It’s scary numbers 🤣🤣🤣

but as it’s quiet in here…. Let me know what’s best and why  🙂

Similar here, I use 2 x 9 inch displays, with Livescope and twin transducers. Also, AIS800 (B+), all Garmin.

I run the two plotters on their own internal GPS, but I feed the AIS with a GPS Puck mounted on top of the centre console.

The whole system is networked via a GMS10 network Port Expander, so the 2 plotters can share charts, waypoints, transducers etc.

Also networked into the Garmin setup is the Fusion BB100 audio / domestic radio, and the Mercury engine data, both of which appear on both plotters.

7 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Similar here, I use 2 x 9 inch displays, with Livescope and twin transducers. Also, AIS800 (B+), all Garmin.

I run the two plotters on their own internal GPS, but I feed the AIS with a GPS Puck mounted on top of the centre console.

The whole system is networked via a GMS10 network Port Expander, so the 2 plotters can share charts, waypoints, transducers etc.

Also networked into the Garmin setup is the Fusion BB100 audio / domestic radio, and the Mercury engine data, both of which appear on both plotters.

As above for me (8410's) too, except the radio and engine data. But I do have the radome installed. 

Edited by Saintly Fish

20 hours ago, JonC said:

You like  a Lowrance product I recall? You had some tax dodge expenses claim thing going on or something, that and the floating duck house.  

I do like my Simrad gear. My main issue I’m looking to upgrade my transducer. My MFD doesn’t support latest generation tech so I may need a new MFD. 

As for a tax dodge, nope just investing in the boat. Want to increase catch rates, find better marks, find more fish on wrecks/reefs. Having a better sounder will hopefully help this and provide better value for customers. Want to make sure I’m doing my best to find them the best fishing possible. It’s been a great year, but want to cons back bigger snd better next year 🙂 

3 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Want to increase catch rates, find better marks, find more fish on wrecks/reefs. Having a better sounder will hopefully help this and provide better value for customers.

Certainly, live scope helps, Kyle is an absolute master at reading that tech and making it work for us. 

After 30+years of lowrance and Simrad products (top of their lines) I moved over to Garmin simply because of poor reliability issues and poor customer service from the Navico group. I do still use some eveo 3 16 and 12 ins units on a few boats I skipper, however the one commercial boat I use is on its third replacement. Often issues occur after firmware updates which I must admit can be frustrating even on my Garmin's. My Gamins are the 8412 and 8410 which have glass touch screens, which if broken they become a throw away item, yes I broke one. My daughter also runs Garmin in her own boat and both of the game fishing boats she skippers also have full Garmin suites also, as do many of the game fishing boats do here these days.

With any head unit you intend to find fish with, the more resolution the screen packs the better, especially in deeper water. Even though Ive dropped a fair amount of money into my full garmin outfits with the three transducers Im running, if I had to choose just one item I enjoy using the most, its the little Garmin 67i hand held. The 67i paid for itself in the first two trips commercialy fishing and the fact they are such a useful safety item makes mine the best gadget I own.

To be fair all manufacturers produce some pretty good tec for fishinding, so you won't go wrong for the UK shallow water fishing with any of them. Transducers are a pretty important thing to get right also. Its like buying a $10,000 camera body and sticking a $50 lens on it, if you don't match with a decent transducer, what you see on the head unit can be let down.

The biggest failures with sounders is the fact most people don't take the time to learn how to use them properly for the styles of fishing or work they use them for.

On 11/21/2023 at 11:15 PM, willyhookit said:

think you.ll find  Navico owns  Garmin    

Wasn't it Garmin bought them out ? They own all the charts I believe but I don't bother searching into who owns what. There was some sort of legal dispute between the two regard sonar etc a few years ago but not sure if that ever got sorted.

Edited by JDP

57 minutes ago, JDP said:

Wasn't it Garmin bought them out ? They own all the charts I believe but I don't bother searching into who owns what.

There is some confusion here over company names.

Navico is owned by the Brunswick Group and have the Simrad and Lowrance brands.

Navionics, who were the marine chart folk, is owned by Garmin, who also own the Fusion brand. Garmin bought Navionics in 2017.

8 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

who would have thought this type of discution would be had on this site when it was started , just a few years back

Its good though that someone was able to explain the differences. 

I don't think it really matters what brand people go with really as they all work well, simply go for more resolution if wanting more detail, many of the big wide screens are actually quite lacking in the top to bottom detail due to low res. In most UK depth waters seeing fish and terminal tackle should be quite achievable .

1 hour ago, JDP said:

In most UK depth waters seeing fish and terminal tackle should be quite achievable

It certainly is, I quite often sit on my kayak and can watch my gear working away and most of the time hits come out of the blue but sometimes I see an fish following and can try to induce a take. 

3 hours ago, JDP said:

In most UK depth waters seeing fish and terminal tackle should be quite achievable

Deepest that I am going to find is almost 300ft, but that is 30 miles out. Mostly I fish in 150 - 20Oft. The absolute deepest we are likely to encounter is Hurd’s Deep, just off the channel islands where it is 550ft, however, that would be a 65 mile steam for me.

Ok…

If I was to stick to Simrad I could go single 16in to go with existing 7inch as well or 2 x 12in…. 

there is a chance I may move over to another brand and that would be 19 inch high resolution screen with a 12in low res for radar… but that’s undergoing discussion. Sadly the cost of moving over entirely to Raymarine or Garmin is not going to work due to the radar and backbone costs

the research continues…. Still need to work out to how to best fit in all on the helm 😬😬

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Ok…

If I was to stick to Simrad I could go single 16in to go with existing 7inch as well or 2 x 12in…. 

there is a chance I may move over to another brand and that would be 19 inch high resolution screen with a 12in low res for radar… but that’s undergoing discussion. Sadly the cost of moving over entirely to Raymarine or Garmin is not going to work due to the radar and backbone costs

the research continues…. Still need to work out to how to best fit in all on the helm 😬😬

bit like all thoes mirrows on a mods scuter