Freezing water in outboard engines?

I was talking to a guy on the next pontoon today, he always flushes his engine with fresh water at the flushing port, but he was concerned about water freezing in the engine and causing damage. Not sure what engine, 200hp they all look the same to me. 
Does this cause any problems or does it drain out ? 

38 minutes ago, JonC said:

I was talking to a guy on the next pontoon today, he always flushes his engine with fresh water at the flushing port, but he was concerned about water freezing in the engine and causing damage. Not sure what engine, 200hp they all look the same to me. 
Does this cause any problems or does it drain out ? 

As long as it's not a closed circuit it should be fine as the water can expand along the open ended system

If the water can fully drain out when liquid fine, but if some liquid (water) remains in the system and freezes it could possibly cause a problem. Ice melts at 0deg.C, and water expands at 4deg.c. If there is a section of ice blocking the outlet, but the ice has melted elsewhere in the system between 0deg and 4 deg trapped water will expand and put very high pressure in the system in that area and can cause cracking. This is the reason that car engine blocks crack - not when freezing, but when thawing. I rather imagine that outboards should be designed to ensure they drain or at least have no areas where ic ean be trapped. Sorry if this is teaching my grandmother to suck eggs as it is what I was school taught at the age of 13 years!!! Geoff.

6 minutes ago, Geoff said:

If the water can fully drain out when liquid fine, but if some liquid (water) remains in the system and freezes it could possibly cause a problem. Ice melts at 0deg.C, and water expands at 4deg.c. If there is a section of ice blocking the outlet, but the ice has melted elsewhere in the system between 0deg and 4 deg trapped water will expand and put very high pressure in the system in that area and can cause cracking. This is the reason that car engine blocks crack - not when freezing, but when thawing. I rather imagine that outboards should be designed to ensure they drain or at least have no areas where ic ean be trapped. Sorry if this is teaching my grandmother to suck eggs as it is what I was school taught at the age of 13 years!!! Geoff.

The fact that it is left trimmed up made me think it wouldn’t all drain. 

2 hours ago, JonC said:

The fact that it is left trimmed up made me think it wouldn’t all drain. 

True, so it would make sense to let the leg down to drain, and then to raise the leg for winter storage if being stored out of the water. Geoff.

7 hours ago, Geoff said:

True, so it would make sense to let the leg down to drain, and then to raise the leg for winter storage if being stored out of the water. Geoff.

The boat is living on a pontoon and is  in regular all year round. 

To be honest John, I would not worry too much about it. I presume that the boat is in the sea (salt water freezes at a lower temperature anyway). My boat (IB/OD) stays in the river (fresh water) all year so there is always water in the leg and touch wood I have never had a problem. Geoff.🙂

if in doubt    use    a  inline  ( salt off )  ( Salt  away)  flush  mixer Bottle      fill with anti freeze   and   flush your engine   as normal     you will always  get pockets of water  left inside your   weather    engine   trimmed up  or    lowered    ( vertical )    the  flush mixer bottles are available off ebay   item ( 2919462996550 )         tight lines  Alain 

Edited by willyhookit

4 hours ago, Geoff said:

To be honest John, I would not worry too much about it. I presume that the boat is in the sea (salt water freezes at a lower temperature anyway). My boat (IB/OD) stays in the river (fresh water) all year so there is always water in the leg and touch wood I have never had a problem. Geoff.🙂

Thanks Jef